[SOLVED] Help me, PSU overkill or perfection?

rafterman

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
Hi guys.

I'm gonna upgrade my system to get a 3080 today. By budget is a little thin atm and I have to upgrade my PSU in order to run the new system. Atm I have 550 W which I know won't be enough. I can't afford a new 750 W one but I found a local guy who has been giving up on his mining enterprise. He is selling a monster of a PSU:

https://kst.by/kompyutery-i-komplektuyushchie/bloki-pitaniya/blok-pitaniya-zumax-zu-1650w.html

Does anyone know this brand? The power supply hasn't been used much so its fairly new. Will this do the job even though it is hugely overkil I like the idea of future proofing.

Last edited:
Solution
Second hand psu from an unknown brand?

Absolutely not.

If you can afford to upgrade your system and get a 3080 then you can afford a good quality branded gold rated 750w psu like a corsair rm/rmx/seasonic focus.

Why on earth would you be looking at an $800 gpu and not budgeting for something decent that is pretty much the heart of the system!!

That makes no sense at all.
Second hand psu from an unknown brand?

Absolutely not.

If you can afford to upgrade your system and get a 3080 then you can afford a good quality branded gold rated 750w psu like a corsair rm/rmx/seasonic focus.

Why on earth would you be looking at an $800 gpu and not budgeting for something decent that is pretty much the heart of the system!!

That makes no sense at all.

Solution

rafterman

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
I don't see a point in getting a 1650W psu I'd get a more well known and reliable 750W psu as that's the recommended PSU for the 3080.
I get what you are saying, but those are double the price of the 1650W one... At the least! And then maybe I will have to upgrade it again when I upgrade the CPU...

It won't run at 1650W if it don't need to right? Is there really a downside to having a big PSU?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
See the first link in my signature - that is a MUST READ when it comes to choosing a PSU (and choosing what to avoid).

There are great PSUs out there, and there are garbage PSUs out there. A garbage PSU may be rated at a high wattage, but there's no guarantee that it will deliver what it promises, unless there are known, high-quality components inside.

Reactions: rafterman

TRENDING THREADS