Help me reconfigure my multi-router, multi-switch, multi-AP home network

Feb 22, 2018
My current setup, which has evolved through several generations of IP provder / hardware changes:
DSL into basement, into a Comtrend VR3031U DSL modem wireless router, with the radios disabled.
Ethernet from this into a Linksys WRT54GS; radios supply most of the house.
Long ethernet run from Linksys LAN port to second story, into a 100/10 switch, into a stationary laptop and a desktop.
Another long ethernet run from Linksys LAN port to far end of first floor, into a Dlink DIR615 (flashed with DDWRT) configured as an AP. Another stationary laptop and desktop, and NAS fed from the DIR615 LAN ports. Radios on DIR615 cover garage and family room. SSID is the same on Linksys and Dlink, different channels.

Normal wireless load on the network is three iphones, two mobile Dell laptops and a Macbook.
The NAS access is slow, and when backing up to it via wifi, most everything slows to a crawl.
We do no gaming, and almost no streaming (DSL).

What I'd like to try (but don't know if it'd work), is get two Nitehawk R7000Ps, put one upstairs, and one in the family room (to replace the Linksys and Dlink) and connect both of them to the Comtrend DSL modem/switch in the basement. Can I do this and still use the same SSID on both, and have devices switch from one to the other as we move around with the phones and laptops, as we do now? Goal is to have it work as it does now, but with better speeds between the devices. And maybe better internet speeds...

Looking at the R7000Ps based on reviews citign good performance for multiple devices, and painless setup, and good long range performance.

AM I way off base here? Other ideas?
If this could work, how do I configure both the Nitehawks as APs? Just like doing one, but give each a different number (not sure what it's called- last set of numbers in the IP address), based on the IP assigned from the Comtrend?

Solution
Fully agree with the Unifi suggestions, I am also using a single AP-AC-LR in my 3 floor townhome connected to my FIOS quantum router (with the built-in wifi disabled of course)...

I get full 5ghz signal in the whole house and a good signal in the backyard. If you read up on them they also have excellent handoff between multi-APs configured as long as you run the software on a server or their dedicated controller (I think it's called the cloud key or something like that). I have had over 2 dozen devices active just to test it, the single AP was able to handle it no sweat.

kanewolf

Titan
You can't be guaranteed of devices roaming with home WIFI equipment. Read this article on WIFI roaming -- https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming

Your NAS should not be connected via WIFI. You should replace your switch(es) in addition to your old routers/WAPs. Get Gigabit switch(es), they are cheap and will improve your NAS access (if you connect it via wired).

Why not buy purpose built WAPs? Have you looked at the Ubiquiti UniFI line of products -- https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com/

Feb 22, 2018

So far, the roaming has worked very well with the existing setup. Hate to lose that...

The NAS is attached to a LAN port on the DLINK router/switch. But the wifi laptops back up to it.
The Nitehawks have GBit switches- and moving the Dlink out of the basement would eliminate the 100/10 upstairs. Have to see what the speed is on the Comtrend...
Comtred is 100/10. So I could have a gigabit wired LAN if I keep one of the Nitehawks in the basement, and replace the 100/10 switch upstairs...

Novakane_

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015

Ok this is interesting, and theres nothing more fun than configuring home networks.

Let me start off by saying: 2 Nighthawks is overkill, and even if you could have both of them roaming in sync (which I dont know if you can for Nighthawks) you can have just as good as a setup for much less of a price.

The person above mentioned the Ubiquity WAPs. I have a feeling just one of these in your home would be good to give every part of it wifi, but I know for a FACT that 2 can work in sync as well. you can have switches that connect your between to your modem to these WAPs. This works because your modem is routing for you, and all you need is an AP(s) and switches;

Second, I have a feeling that the 100/10 switch is bottle-necking you. Depends on your internet speeds. If theyre > 100/10 then obviously not, but its possible that the NAS is being bottlenecked because of this.

All in all, you have a setup thats working for you, maybe its just the internet speeds and the switch thats slowing your Wired data transfers down.

Also make sure youre using CAT5e and up.

Let me know how it goes

Fully agree with the Unifi suggestions, I am also using a single AP-AC-LR in my 3 floor townhome connected to my FIOS quantum router (with the built-in wifi disabled of course)...

I get full 5ghz signal in the whole house and a good signal in the backyard. If you read up on them they also have excellent handoff between multi-APs configured as long as you run the software on a server or their dedicated controller (I think it's called the cloud key or something like that). I have had over 2 dozen devices active just to test it, the single AP was able to handle it no sweat.

Solution