Help me replace an old AGP card?

dengis

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hello everyone,

I have an ancient Dell Dimension 8200 whose Graphics Card, an NVIDIA Ti 4600 128 AGP 8x, has died. I'm broke and can't afford a new computer at the moment so I just want to replace the vid card. I play Warcraft 3, WOW, Diablo, Diablo II, Starcraft, Neverwinter Nights, etc -- a bunch of old graphically unintensive games. I'd like to replace my old card with something that lets me play all of these old games (and maybe some newer ones) at max settings -- hopefully it will be more powerful than the old 4600. I went to the Dell website and they recommended I purchase a Visiontek Radeon X1300 AGP 8x 512 MB DDR II, which I did. Well, it turns out that card is completly incompatible with my computer -- it doens't even change the monitor light from yellow. I've confirmed this incompatiblity through forum reading -- lots of people are frustrated with Dell for recommending a card that is incompatible with their comp.

Anyway, I could really use some advice with respect to what I should purchase. Here are the specs for my comp:

Windows XP
P4 2.0 Ghz
512 MEG RDRAM
250 Watt PS (I do have an extra 4-pin to power a card, but as you can imagine the card I buy can't suck much energy or it will exceed this puny PS)
The mobo supports AGP 8x.

Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks.

Solution
I was think of a 7600GT. Lower power consumption than the 6800GT with nearly the same performance (had both at one time). Not sure how it will fit into your power envelope though.

jennyh

Splendid
You're looking at a top end 5-series minimum, probably maxing at a 6600gt or 6800gt (this one will probably be too much for your psu though). The ATI equivalent would be hmm, a 9800pro or 98000xt I believe.

The thing is, these cards are still in reasonable demand because there are a lot of people still on the agp bus, so you'll still pay more than you think you might.

dengis

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Thanks. I read something about Dell using the mean power supply to rate their PSU's -- that my 250 watt PSU will actually max at 375 watts.

I assume that the 6600gt represents a significant improvement over my old ti 4600?

Do you recommend I buy 128 MEGs on the 6600 or 256? Or will my comp bottleneck and not make the extra RAM worth it?

thanks.

and this is why it is not worth it to ugrade an old system, for the kind of money you would spend now to upgrade the video card you could use it towards a new computer's video card which will be much more powerful

jeffredo

Distinguished
You could just get an X800 or X850 series card from ebay. There's always someone selling supposedly new bare cards (no box or cables). And they would definitely be stronger than your current card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATI-RADEON-X800-XT-AIW-PAL-256MB-AGP-VIDEO-CARD_W0QQitemZ350199633978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item518986583a&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Here's an X800 XT All-in-Wonder. Its PAL spec, so it would be useless for TV watching in North America, but its still an X800 XT card regardless (same performance ans a non-AIW card). 48 bucks isn't too bad. 300W PS recommendation, but your Dell can run it.