Help me revive dead pc

lionclaw0612

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
When starting, the motherboard gives me a beep code (continuous short beeps) the motherboard is a gigabyte GA-z77-HD3. Apparently that beep code means memory not correctly installed. I've even swapped out ram that I know that works but still the same problem. After the beep code, the computer restarts and reboots. I originally thought it was the power supply because I had problems with that before. I just noticed when starting, the cpu fans spins for a bit then stops. The other fans keep going until it restarts. Do you think it's the psu or something else? I could buy a cheap 500w power supply for £35 to see if it works but didn't want to buy it if there's something else I can try first.

lionclaw0612

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
After some playing around I found that if I remove one stick of ram it boots fine. Both ram sticks are the same make and model and they were in the right slots.
As for the current psu I have no idea what it is. Completely unbranded with no indication of what it is. I'm just fixing it for my brother. Just need to figure out this ram problem now.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What ram is used? Can look with cpu-z (freeware) at the spd tab for a partnr or do the enxt,

download hwinfo32,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "short text report",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
need only to copy the ram info if you want to. Maybe if alowd can some extra voltage be applied in the bios which might stabilize the ram again.Otherwise is there maybe an rma option if you want to go that route.

lionclaw0612

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
It's 8gb ddr3 make is crucial technology voltage 1.50v. I've tried installing in the same colour slots and different but neither one works. It's strange because it used to work fine.

(Part number is st 102464ba1339.m16)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That nr doesn't mean anything.(googled it)

Looking at the voltage could you add some in the bios. Look at Vram or something like that and add 0.05V to see if it helps. Can go up to 1.65V max.Use the ram in same colored slots and preferably the second and fourth from the cpu.

Did you by any chance enable XMP in the bios?

lionclaw0612

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Now my monitor is playing up. Goes black every time I go in the bios. I think I'm going to call it a day for now. At least I got it to post. It's an old system that's been through a lot, I'm surprised it still works. I can live with 8gb of ram for now. Thanks for the help anyway, I'll try again tomorrow.