Question Help me set up 3rd monitor pls

thriftyarek888

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Hi I have win10, ryzen 5 3600, b450 plus max,16gb ram, gtx970, two monitors. Today I bought 3rd and plugged it in. THen restart. After restart, all screens go blank. PC does not boot in to win. I had to unplug the 3rd screen to get back to win.

The two working monitors were plugged in to DVI ports. The new monitor I plugged in to HDMI. Both monitors are using 1920x1080. When I turn on the new monitor, it is fully working... (without plugging in to PC.)

I have unplugged one of the original monitors from the DVI port and plugged the NEW monitor in. Hence only 2 monitors are plugged at same time, like originally. This resulted with the NEW monitor working perfectly with OLD monitor.

I use convertor 'VGA to DVI' to connect monitor.

When OLD monitors are plugged in and I plug in NEW monitor in to HDMI (via VGA to HDMI adaptor), there is no new sound hardware detected. In display settings, there is no 3rd monitor detected.

However, when I connect the new monitor in to HDMI port (via VGA to HDMI) adaptor, screen is blank. This is the set up with only 2 monitors are working same time. Original monitor plugged in to DVI and NEW monitor plugged in to HDMI (via VGA to HDMI) adaptor.

This means the HDMI port is not 'active'.

Got DP cable. Connected, and in setting 3 monitors show. 'Identify' works but only on 2 original monitors. 3rd, new monitor shows at start "no cable connected" message and goes blank. Cable is connected. Help!

Clues as to what's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have win10, ryzen 5 3600, b450 plus max,16gb ram, gtx970, two monitors. Today I bought 3rd and plugged it in. THen restart. After restart, all screens go blank. PC does not boot in to win. I had to unplug the 3rd screen to get back to win.

The two working monitors were plugged in to DVI ports. The new monitor I plugged in to HDMI. Both monitors are using 1920x1080. When I turn on the new monitor, it is fully working... (without plugging in to PC.)

I have unplugged one of the original monitors from the DVI port and plugged the NEW monitor in. Hence only 2 monitors are plugged at same time, like originally. This resulted with the NEW monitor working perfectly with OLD monitor.

When OLD monitors are plugged in and I plug in NEW monitor in to HDMI (via VGA to HDMI adaptor), there is no new sound hardware detected. In display settings, there is no 3rd monitor detected.

However, when I connect the new monitor in to HDMI port (via VGA to HDMI) adaptor, screen is blank. This is the set up with only 2 monitors are working same time. Original monitor plugged in to DVI and NEW monitor plugged in to HDMI (via VGA to HDMI) adaptor.

Got DP cable. Connected, and in setting 3 monitors show. 'Identify' works but only on 2 original monitors. 3rd, new monitor shows at start "no cable connected" message and goes blank. Cable is connected. Help!

WTF is going on?
Certain models of The gtx 970 isn't capable of running three monitors at 1920x1080, from my understanding the card can't handle the that heavy of a screen render rate. You may need to drop the something along the lines of a 1640x1080. But it would help to have a full system speccs underlaying the full geforce card speccs.

Clues as to what's going on?
I'm aware you gave most of you speccs but psu and full card info can help

4745454b

Titan
Whoa. Back up. Back in the day I ran four 1080 screens. Three of them in an Eyefinity setup, and my 50" Samsung TV over HDMI. My PC had no issues running all four screens. The card? The R9 280/7950. The similar Nvida card was the GTX 760. The 970 should have zero issues doing anything similar.

I did run my setup with digital only screens. My center monitor was attached to the DVI port, while the surrounds used ACTIVE mDP to DVI adapters. They had to be the active ones, passive ones wouldn't work. The TV as mentioned above used the HDMI. My guess is you are having issues with that DVI to VGA adapter. With digital connections there should be zero issues with this setup. The only other thing that comes to mind is the OS. You have to have 7 or above. If you are trying to use XP it won't work.

thriftyarek888

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
I think you right. Its VGA cable with convertor running to DVI. If I swap this cable to: HDMI to DVI, all will be digital and 3 monitors will work.

Off to ebay to order:
DVI-D to HDMI Adapter Connector Cable Lead 6ft Gold Plated Full HD 2M Black UK

Whoa. Back up. Back in the day I ran four 1080 screens. Three of them in an Eyefinity setup, and my 50" Samsung TV over HDMI. My PC had no issues running all four screens. The card? The R9 280/7950. The similar Nvida card was the GTX 760. The 970 should have zero issues doing anything similar.

I did run my setup with digital only screens. My center monitor was attached to the DVI port, while the surrounds used ACTIVE mDP to DVI adapters. They had to be the active ones, passive ones wouldn't work. The TV as mentioned above used the HDMI. My guess is you are having issues with that DVI to VGA adapter. With digital connections there should be zero issues with this setup. The only other thing that comes to mind is the OS. You have to have 7 or above. If you are trying to use XP it won't work.
The difference between you running all the 4 monitors you were running and the way he is trying to setup his system is all that matters, you had multi level screen sizes the it was displaying to. That's fine but certain cards whether it was intended to be the way it is or not, have issues, some of the gtx 900 series and others refuses to display more then two screens of the same size and refresh rate, I have personally had a couple of GPUs, works as intended for the most part but plug a third identical monitor into it and lose display on all screens plug a display one size smaller in or bigger and no issues it's just how some cards are and before you say well I had a issue somewhere then I have spent several hrs trying to fix the problem to the point I gave up and let several other techs try and all of us came to the same conclusion olafter looking into other similar cards it's just a defect of some sort. Not saying there's no ways around any of it just not 100% worth the several extra items that shouldn't be needed And I wasn't saying it is the 1080 ratio either just in general I had 4 1920x1080 monitors only two would work would have to use a 1640x1080 or similar for there to be 3 screens with two 1920x1080s

4745454b

Titan
All my screens were 1080. The three on my desk were idenical. Because I didn't want to look at different fronts of monitors. The #1 issue with setting these up is bad/wrong adapters. I researched everything and made sure I wasn't going to run into problems before I bought anything. I might set it up again. I really do miss it.