Help me shop and decide for cyber monday

Nov 23, 2018
Hello, Cyber Monday is coming up and I am planning to replace failing, or already failed components in my rig.

The components I intend on replacing is my SSD, but the main thing I want to change is my Cpu, the problem I am faced with is, should I get a new Mb for a newer socket or stick with my current one?
Also please recommend Cpus and SSDs, I have plenty of Hdd for memory, so performance is the priority.

Motherboard: z97a
CPU: i5 4590(if memory serves, currently not home, will update if I am mistaken)
Gpu: gtx 960
PSU: 750W(Bought this one roughly a year ago)
I am willing to change my Gpu, but I am not to concerned with graphics, as long as the game runs smoothly.

Nov 23, 2018

Oh sorry, I thought I wrote that, I have not made any proper checks on it, but I believe it is failing.
At first I thought the SSD was the culprit, it was, but later I suspected it had an accomplice.
The performance has been deteriorating gradually and when I checked the temp on the Cpu a couple of months ago it was a bit above the standard, if memory serves.
I reapplied the thermal paste and it seems to have helped, but temps were still a bit above the average for my model. I reapplied the paste a couple of times just in case, the result slightly varied, but around the same.

My HDD is less than a year old, so I doubt it's the reason.
I am not too well versed in checking and testing the components... Do I need to stress test the cpu or something to know for sure?

Nov 23, 2018

Cpu: i5 4590(the cooler is the one provided with the cpu, also worth mentioning I bought it about 5-6 years ago believe)

Gpu: gtx 960

Primary HDD: seagate barracuda st3000dm008
Secondary HDDs: samsung hd321kj
And
St3750528As

Mb: z97a

Psu: Rm 750x corsair

Case: fractal design define s

Ram: corsair
1x cmv4gx3m1a1600c11
3x cmv4gx3m1a1600c9

The primary and psu are about a year old or less and the case is 2 years old, I believe I got the gpu 3 years ago and the cpu is from about 6 years back.
The rams range from 1 year to 4 I believe.
Is there a surefire way to determine what's slowing the system?
Yes the fan for the cpu is * and I'd do well with a proper one, but even if I do get a new and better one, with a cpu this old, is it worth it?

Nov 23, 2018

As mentioned, I am not to concerned with graphics as long as the game runs smoothly and the main component I wanted to replace was my CPU, the real question was:
Should I get a new motherboard for a newer socket or should I get another 1150 CPU?
Which would bring better value?
What models would you then suggest?

I'm willing to spend up towards 500€, this budget can stretch if I like the options presented.

Also don't worry about the GPU bottlenecking, I plan to get a gtx 70 series when this one begins to fail, or a equivalent in strength.

I really appreciate that you are so helpful and swift to respond.

Well I can speak from experience. In your case and i'm not talking about your specific problem. I bought a used i7 4790 got $150 and it made a significant difference. Especially with games that can make use of all 8 threads. If you don't care about graphics the i7 will help with smoothness, but then again I don't know what your problem is and if the i7 would solve it.

Nov 23, 2018
Slowed performance which is gradually worsening, stuttering and freezing, even opening up a browser can prove to be grueling.
These issues were present before and after formatting last time I applied thermal paste, even if it helped, it's only been getting worse(I don't exactly keep my system clean, but these symptoms are far more severe than a few softwares taxing my system).

Ideally I would like to get the CPU from a retailer, but do you mean that 1150 socket CPUs are discontinued? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, haven't looked into it, been swamped with school, barely been home and found out about cybermonday this week.

Yeah, you'd essentially be paying for a brand new four year old processor. I'd go used, especially for a locked processor because you know they haven't been overvolting it. So far i've had great experiences purchasing used on eBay. I also picked up a used GTX 1080ti from a reputable seller and at the time it was the only company that allowed 30 day money back guarantee. The seller I purchased from was
ntc_tech.

Nov 23, 2018

I will use the service later for other components (including motherboard and gpu).

But I want to get the CPU new, so not a 1150 socket, what do you recommend?
I will build the new rig around the new cpu and I will get a better gpu later to compliment a stronger Cpu.

I am quite stuck on the idea of getting my CPU new now on monday, given the discount so what do you recommend for 300€?

Nov 23, 2018

I will add it to my list, can you guys suggest a few? Idk how cyber Monday works, if some sre on sale or all.

I want a list of different ones to choose from and thanks for suggesting something other than Intel, I hsve only had intel as of yet, so trying a different company's can be good to keep from being to narrow.

Please keep the suggestions coming. (intel is still acceptable, I have been happy with what they produce after all)

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
With Cyber Monday / Black Friday you basically just have to look around for the best deals. Sometimes those deals might be local sometimes they are Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, Best Buy.... it just depends on what you want, where you are and what you have available to you.

Nov 23, 2018

Right, then the more options I have available the better.
What brands are good for SSDs? My last one didn't last too long, 2 years I believe.

Please keep the CPU suggestions coming.
I can even raise my budget to 400 if need be.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Samsung makes the best SSDs in my opinion. The fastest being the NVME M.2 ones which require your motherboard to have the M.2 slot. But they also make the best 2.5 inch SSDs. I have a Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb that I got in May 2015 and is still going strong.

You might get some other people to give CPU advice but I think you'll be picking from a small pool as there appears to be a certain amount of consensus on what has good value for cost.

Nov 23, 2018

I didn't know samsung made drives, I will look into it. I want it for the speed alone, I have plenty of memory.
Even still, there should be a couple of CPUs worth looking into, then again I doubt trending CPUs will be put on sale, and if they are, it won't be a big discount. Still worth having a few to pick between.

I love Tom's hardware, always helpful and the feedback is quick and reliable.

Nov 23, 2018
SgtScream thank you for being awesome, I didn't even notice that the first link was an article that I was specifically looking for, I am on my phone and at the time I was with a friend, so I didn't have time to open the URLs.
Seriously thank you tremendously for all the help and advice, genuinely made my week!