Help me sleep well, 379€ NEW 1070 MSI Gam X, TLDR Included.

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,

TLDR; I just bought an MSI 1070 Gaming X for 379€ (New), my last gpu died, have I done well or should I have waited. 1080p player, I just want smooth framerates for 2 years tops.

After lots and lots of reading, waiting and searching for a GPU since my old 280x crashed 3 months ago (I have been stuck with the integrated HD4600, thank god I have been playing LOL like a madman) I just bought a new MSI 1070 Gaming X on a trustworthy spanish site for 379€.
All this time I have been waiting for the Nvidia release but with that price point I started looking also at the possibility of getting one of the now older cards and stick with it until next gen (When ray tracing may or may not be a must).

The thing is, for that price (379€) I think I made the right move, but its been so much of a waiting that Im having second thoughts and I decided to ask for your help guys^^

Please keep in mind that for the time being I play at 1080p, and I dont expect that to change, so I just wanted a card that would let me play games like anthem at 1080p with medium to medium high settings (not a visuals junkie but I do value smooth framerates).

Do u think I did Ok? I repeat, its a new MSI 1070 Gaming X for 379€ from a trustworthy site (After my purchase, the price of that card on that web jumped back to 484€, so I think I may have cut a no-buying era with some kind of depreciation).

Thanks!

Solution
I always recommend that you buy what you need, when you need it.

In your case, you needed a card now. So you bought a card now, from what is available now, at a price you could accept. There's no reason to regret it. It will be a long time before a 1070 isn't enough for 1080p.

I wouldn't even think about ray tracing. Even if ray tracing catches on, it'll be a couple of years, at least, before games use it well enough that it matters. By that time there will be better ray tracing videocards available and they will cost less. That would be the time to buy one if you wanted to play those games. The only reason to buy one when they come out next month is if you like to be one of those people who buys the new tech before everyone else...
I always recommend that you buy what you need, when you need it.

In your case, you needed a card now. So you bought a card now, from what is available now, at a price you could accept. There's no reason to regret it. It will be a long time before a 1070 isn't enough for 1080p.

I wouldn't even think about ray tracing. Even if ray tracing catches on, it'll be a couple of years, at least, before games use it well enough that it matters. By that time there will be better ray tracing videocards available and they will cost less. That would be the time to buy one if you wanted to play those games. The only reason to buy one when they come out next month is if you like to be one of those people who buys the new tech before everyone else does. Some people like being an early adopter.

Solution
Aug 30, 2018

In fact, I was only waiting for the 2000 series release to be able to pick the best value per € available, I dont care about RT as much as smooth performance, so I may have ended picking a 1000 series if that would have been the best option.
The way I see it, 380€ for a 1070 GTX (more so if its a gaming x model) its quite the value for money pick, but since prices are moving so much this days, Im not 100% sure I wouldnt have gotten it cheaper in a few months, thats why Im having second thoughts, I always look for the best performance per money.

Thanks so much for your answer btw ;)