[SOLVED] Help me tame my 5800x, please

roger_waterssss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2018
Greetings, I have just inaugurated a new pc with a Ryzen 5800x (stock settings, I haven't changed anything). The Temperatures and the noise that I get from the liquid cooling are making me not happy at all. I have read that this processor is wild and hot, But I was wondering if I could do something either with the cooling or the processor settings, but the thing is that I am a complete ignorant in this, and I don't want to either destroy the processor or ending with one that doesn't give me the performance I paid for. My other components:

https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-plus
https://www.pccomponentes.com/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb
https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-32gb-4x8gb-cl18
https://www.pccomponentes.com/seasonic-focus-gx-750-750w-80-plus-gold-modular

1) I used cinebench R23.200 and I got 15.193 Multicore and 1.581 SIngle Core. I reached 90º. Regardless of the heat, is that performance ok or did it throttle due to temps?

2) The rpm of the pump of the cooling is almost stable at 2410rpm. Is this too little? that is the official value that I have found in the cooler master webpage, but Could I get it higher through bios or software without any problems?

3) I have watched a video of a guy saying that this problem could get fixed altering the PPT down to 115w or even to 105w, the TDC to 100, and the EDC to 80 and he also mentioned something about PBO (I Hace 0 knowledge about all those weird letters) He said that he only lost max 5% in performance. My rigs idles at 50-55 with spikes up to 65º with doing very little. With videogames I can get up to 73º-75º and the fan noise is to shoot myself in the head.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
3) I have watched a video of a guy saying that this problem could get fixed altering the PPT down to 115w or even to 105w, the TDC to 100, and the EDC to 80 and he also mentioned something about PBO (I Hace 0 knowledge about all those weird letters) He said that he only lost max 5% in performance. My rigs idles at 50-55 with spikes up to 65º with doing very little. With videogames I can get up to 73º-75º and the fan noise is to shoot myself in the head.
Was it this video? If not, it may help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3V8gcflTU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, I watched that video, there was also another video made by another dude with these values: PPT down to 120, the TDC to 85, and the EDC to 130. He said that he went down 10ºc and that He even gained performance.
The performance of these cpus - since Ryzen 3000 - is linked to power use and temperatures just like today's gpus are - well, perhaps not quite to the same degree...

roger_waterssss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2018
The performance of these cpus - since Ryzen 3000 - is linked to power use and temperatures just like today's gpus are - well, perhaps not quite to the same degree...

I have been taking a look at the fans of the liquid cooling (they are set upon the ceiling ) and it seems that those fans get cool air from the outside and they pull it INSIDE the case. Wouldn't be best in reverse?

roger_waterssss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2018
If your rad is on top, the fans should be pushing air out the top.
I have been looking around about that and now I am dizzy. There are people who say that is better if the fans are bringing air from the outside into the inside, because outside air is cooler, and pushing the hotter air from inside the cause through the rad to the outside is worse. And yes, the liquid fans are hanging from the top of the case (inside of the case)

What!?

Makaveli

Splendid
I have been looking around about that and now I am dizzy. There are people who say that is better if the fans are bringing air from the outside into the inside, because outside air is cooler, and pushing the hotter air from inside the cause through the rad to the outside is worse. And yes, the liquid fans are hanging from the top of the case (inside of the case)

What!?

This is correct if your Rad is mounted on the front of the case. I have my setup like this so cool air comes in from the front of the case over the rad. With top mount you will want the fan pushing air up since heat rises.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have been taking a look at the fans of the liquid cooling (they are set upon the ceiling ) and it seems that those fans get cool air from the outside and they pull it INSIDE the case. Wouldn't be best in reverse?
Where are you seeing that? Many of the images and videos I've seen have those fans as exhaust.
Perhaps you have intake/outtake mixed up? For reference:
iu

Front mounted rad intake - whether it's on the cpu or the gpu, isn't as bad as it sounds.
Depending on your hardware configuration, it could be more beneficial than the top exhaust orientation so many people like to press on.

The 5800x is not a particularly hot CPU and adjusting EDC, PPT, or TDC should not at all be necessary in a properly cooled PC.

I'd leave PBO off, leave the BIOS settings besides XMP on Auto, set the balanced or performance Power Plan in Windows and let the chip do what it's meant to through its algorithm and balance heat, voltages, and clock speed on its own. The only thing you should need to do is provide proper airflow through the case and an good CPU cooler.

Reactions: alexbirdie

roger_waterssss

Reputable
Mar 27, 2018
The 5800x is not a particularly hot CPU and adjusting EDC, PPT, or TDC should not at all be necessary in a properly cooled PC.

I'd leave PBO off, leave the BIOS settings besides XMP on Auto, set the balanced or performance Power Plan in Windows and let the chip do what it's meant to through its algorithm and balance heat, voltages, and clock speed on its own. The only thing you should need to do is provide proper airflow through the case and an good CPU cooler.

Can you tell how to do it for dummies, or direct me to a videotutorial of how to do it? I wouldn't want to end up castrating the cpu and getting poor performance for the sake of lower temperature :mad::mad::mad:

Regarding the fans on the inside of the case (mounted on the ceiling) getting air inside the case instead or the other way around, I am confused because the shop which built the pc say that this is ok, whereas the internet tells me in forums that the fans on the top, with a liquid cooler, should be getting the air outside the case. I don't know what to think anymore :(

logainofhades

Titan

It is a well known fact, that the 5800x is a hot cpu, compared to other Ryzen 5000 chips.

It is a well known fact, that the 5800x is a hot cpu, compared to other Ryzen 5000 chips.

It runs warmer than some 5000 series naturally, but still not as hot as the last couple gens of Intel 8 cores. The 5800x runs on average only about 5% hotter than a 3800x which is pretty good considering it's running about 400mhz faster and is much faster overall.

Last edited:
Can you tell how to do it for dummies, or direct me to a videotutorial of how to do it? I wouldn't want to end up castrating the cpu and getting poor performance for the sake of lower temperature :mad::mad::mad:

Regarding the fans on the inside of the case (mounted on the ceiling) getting air inside the case instead or the other way around, I am confused because the shop which built the pc say that this is ok, whereas the internet tells me in forums that the fans on the top, with a liquid cooler, should be getting the air outside the case. I don't know what to think anymore :(

Heat naturally wants to rise so the idea is to work with the heat rise instead of fighting it. The top case fans should blow out...the front fans should act as intake fans...and ideally you should have at least one rear exhaust. Some of these options may be case limited but the generally accepted air flow should be in from the front and out the back and top. This not only removes GPU and CPU heat but also critically, in the case of water cooling, will create air flow across the motherboards VRM section.