Question Help me - total noob

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm new here but will prob be posting a lot. Was wondering if any geniuses can help?

First of all my rig. (beginner)

A8 7800k quad core CPU
16GB standard RAM
Asrock FM2+ hd motherboard (Micro ATX)
Msi RX580 Armour 8gb OC edition
2TB HDD

So I installed new GPU, am playing plagues tale on it and the computer shuts down. Can someone help? Am I meeting to change any components - I know and upgrade of the CPU is essential but should this all work fine on my system. Anything I need to tweak? Told you I'm a noob, but can understand instructions very well at least.

Thank you, Craig

GamersNexus had an article to never use other PSU cables for another PSU due to incompatibility (and risk to system). If the adapter came with the PSU then you can ignore this part of my concern.

I'm not familiar with the brand so can't make an informed judgement about its quality. But generally I would refer to a tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/
The wattage (on paper at least) should be sufficient to power the system, especially the graphics card. But that isn't to say there's nothing wrong.

Have you noticed any pattern to these sudden shut downs?

Also worth considering is looking in Event Viewer. I am assuming Windows 10. So... Windows Logs > System. This might be enough to see if there are clues to the shut downs.

Reactions: Bazzlebrush88

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
GamersNexus had an article to never use other PSU cables for another PSU due to incompatibility (and risk to system). If the adapter came with the PSU then you can ignore this part of my concern.

I'm not familiar with the brand so can't make an informed judgement about its quality. But generally I would refer to a tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/
The wattage (on paper at least) should be sufficient to power the system, especially the graphics card. But that isn't to say there's nothing wrong.

Have you noticed any pattern to these sudden shut downs?

Also worth considering is looking in Event Viewer. I am assuming Windows 10. So... Windows Logs > System. This might be enough to see if there are clues to the shut downs.
Thank you for replying, So I was playing some games and it didn't shut down instantly playing them. Switched to a plagues tale and played for a while longer than the first time it shut down, but eventually shut down as before.
Once it shut down I had to disconnect the power cord from the PSU and then put it back in and then it would turn on. But It won't turn on now at all. I think this is a psu problem? Would you agree? What PSU should I get then if this is the case?
Would my motherboard be incompatible with the GPU?
An hour later computer still won't switch on and power supply is warm.

Motherboards shouldn't be incompatible with a graphics card; PCIe x16 slots are essentially backwards and forwards compatible - worst case is the graphics card won't reach its theoretical maximum potential.

Any chance of borrowing a PSU? Unfortunately PC troubleshooting tends to require swapping components out for the more complicated things.

If possible see if we can get voltage readings. Two options here: 1) enter BIOS to see the voltages, or 2) use a hardware monitor (eg. HWiNFO) to see voltages. Ideally would use a multimeter, but I assume the sensors will pick up large deviations from what they should be. We'd be looking for the 3.3V, 5V and 12V readings. Something like:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/dul1r1z

For a new PSU, if you feel most comfortable with this option, I would suggest using the Tier chart and find one within budget and good quality. Seasonic are a good brand generally. 550W is probably the closest match to your system and gives you a little headroom for upgrades.

Trying to think of anything which may have been missed. Have you kept an eye on 'temperatures' for the CPU?

Reactions: Bazzlebrush88

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Motherboards shouldn't be incompatible with a graphics card; PCIe x16 slots are essentially backwards and forwards compatible - worst case is the graphics card won't reach its theoretical maximum potential.

Any chance of borrowing a PSU? Unfortunately PC troubleshooting tends to require swapping components out for the more complicated things.

If possible see if we can get voltage readings. Two options here: 1) enter BIOS to see the voltages, or 2) use a hardware monitor (eg. HWiNFO) to see voltages. Ideally would use a multimeter, but I assume the sensors will pick up large deviations from what they should be. We'd be looking for the 3.3V, 5V and 12V readings. Something like:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/dul1r1z

For a new PSU, if you feel most comfortable with this option, I would suggest using the Tier chart and find one within budget and good quality. Seasonic are a good brand generally. 550W is probably the closest match to your system and gives you a little headroom for upgrades.

Trying to think of anything which may have been missed. Have you kept an eye on 'temperatures' for the CPU?

Thank you for that info, that really helped. Its fried the cpu now, As for checking voltages I have no means of doing this right now, waiting on a new power supply, I went with the brand on your link .. a 600w supply however just to be sure, as I'm about to upgrade the cpu and mobo to ryzen 5 2600x.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
I was monitoring gpu temps when running thr game before it shut down, the temp rose to about 73 c and the computer shut off. And now won't turn back on. Im hoping it just screwed the psu and not the gpu. 🤢 it was an EVO labs 600 watt. I hope that had protection.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
New psu came, however, still didn't start. Fried my motherboard I'm guessing. I've now switched out to an old LGA 1150 acer predator system. Going to put a compatible cpu in there instead and hook gpu, ram etc into this.

Hopefully it didn't fry anything else 😫.

Would the gpu come with any inbuilt circuit breaking safety?

Fingers crossed they're okay.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
If its solved, there should be a 'best answer' option, at the top of each response. Once you click that, the thread will be marked as 'solved.'
So you could help people that had the same problem as yours.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
If its solved, there should be a 'best answer' option, at the top of each response. Once you click that, the thread will be marked as 'solved.'
So you could help people that had the same problem as yours.
Hi matty I wanted to know how. I did look round for a best answer button, im using mobile version off my phone, cant find a best answer button anywhere. (Unless you mean the trophy with the up and down vote buttons?