Help me understand HDTune's SSD speed test results.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I am running HD Tune 2.55 to test my Corsair Force LE SSD 240GB.

When I set the block size in options/Benchmark to 64KB my Average speed is around 140MB/s.

When I set the block size in options/Benchmark to 8MB my Average speed is around 520MB/s.

which one is the true speed of my SSD ?

if 520MB/s is the true speed, does that mean my mobo supports SATA3 600MB/s SSD's ?

Hey there, @knowledge2121!

It would be really helpful if you share more details about your system. I'd also strongly recommend using an SSD-specific diagnostic utility.
It's highly recommended to use the default allocation unit size. The smaller block size definitely affects the performance and transfer speed. If this is your OS drive, I'm afraid you won't be able to use the 64KB block size for the system partition, only for the data ones. Either way, these average speed results vary too much, so you should definitely run an SSD-specific benchmark and make sure you have all the optimization settings for the SSD properly configured. There's almost insignificant performance difference when using different block sizes (allocation unit size).

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have windows 7 on an HDD and Ubuntu 16.04 MATE on the SSD, GRUB2 is installed on the HDD and the SSD gets booted from the HDD.

I want to know whether my mobo supports SATA3 600MB/s...So I am running SSD speed tests to determine that. if the speed goes above 300MB/s then it means it is SATA3, right ?

what's wrong with HD Tune ? and why does it show the speed to be 520MB/s when the block size is 8MB and 150MB/s when the block size is 64KB ?

TRENDING THREADS