Help me upgrade my build!

jp24fan

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Hey everyone!

So, recently, my brother used a build guide to create a gaming pc within his budget limitations. The thing is though, he only plays LoL, so his new pc was complete overkill for his needs. So, I gave him a small amount of money, exchanged my low/mid-range rig with his and have been slowly getting into pc gaming ever since. Thing is though, I have some money to spare (approx. 300 euros) and I would like to upgrade it quite a bit. You can find my specs below. Are there any low quality parts? Things I can reuse easily for a long time? How can I increase my performance (recommended GPUs, CPUs etc...)? Any advice would be really helpful!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @3.20 GHz
GPU: ASUS R9 280 Direct CU II-3GB VRAM
RAM: Mushkin 997030 2x4GB DDR3 PC-12800
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3
PSU: Thermaltake SE 630W
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24F1ST
Case: Sharkoon T9 Value Red

Solution
Yes of course! depending on your budget my first choice would be a Samsung 850 pro ssd, if not then the samsung 850 evo, but obvoiusly prices depend on the size you want, if you just want to install windows and a couple games on the ssd and the rest on your harddrive a 128gb will be enough

second choice and slightly cheaper is the kingston ssds which are slightly slower but not noticeably slower, only reason I would go with samsung is their warranty and support is superb!

Intel probably offer the best ssds, but I would probably stick to samsung and kingston because they are much cheaper and perform as well!
hope it helps :)

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
ssd would for sure be my first choice, use it as the boot disk and you will be amazed by the speed, everything else looks fine, unless you want to spend a lot of money on a new gpu like a gtx 970 or 980 but yeah ssd for the win! :)

jp24fan

Reputable
May 31, 2015

Thanks for the help! Can you suggest a couple of decent, reliable SSDs?

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Yes of course! depending on your budget my first choice would be a Samsung 850 pro ssd, if not then the samsung 850 evo, but obvoiusly prices depend on the size you want, if you just want to install windows and a couple games on the ssd and the rest on your harddrive a 128gb will be enough

second choice and slightly cheaper is the kingston ssds which are slightly slower but not noticeably slower, only reason I would go with samsung is their warranty and support is superb!

Intel probably offer the best ssds, but I would probably stick to samsung and kingston because they are much cheaper and perform as well!
hope it helps :)

Solution