[SOLVED] Help me upgrade my Cyberpower GUA3400a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2020
Hello,

I've been considering upgrading my gaming PC since it's an aging budget desktop. More info on the computer out of the box: https://www.digitweek.com/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-gua3400a-review/
I understand that this build doesn't have a solid-state drive. I'm not an expert on computers in general, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference in loading times/gameplay or not.
Current specs:
AMD Fx-6300 Six Core 3.5GHz
8GB Ddr3 Ram
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB (upgraded since purchased)

I don't play super demanding games, but the games I do play are pretty slow. I am currently playing Steel Division 2 (SD2), and the loading times are insane as I progress through the longer campaigns. I'm talking a 2 hour load time after completing one battle the last time I played. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or not, but I'm sure upgrading can't hurt. I'm open to other thoughts on that as well. SD2 requirements can be found here: https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=35685&game=Steel Division 2

I'm hoping to stay around $400 (if possible) to get something that will be more current with the times and hopefully allow me to play games like SD2 or Fallout without super long load times as they come out. I appreciate any advice you can give me on how to upgrade. Thank you!

Solution
If your load times are an issue, I would start with getting an SSD. Make sure your current hard drive isn't full/nearly full, as well. That can cause slow downs. A fresh install of windows wouldn't hurt either. Just be sure to back anything up, that you want to keep. You are below the CPU recommended requirements. I would recommend a new PSU, as well. If you want to do a full refresh, this would work, and you can upgrade the GPU at a later date, as that could use an upgrade, as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)...

logainofhades

Titan
If your load times are an issue, I would start with getting an SSD. Make sure your current hard drive isn't full/nearly full, as well. That can cause slow downs. A fresh install of windows wouldn't hurt either. Just be sure to back anything up, that you want to keep. You are below the CPU recommended requirements. I would recommend a new PSU, as well. If you want to do a full refresh, this would work, and you can upgrade the GPU at a later date, as that could use an upgrade, as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $406.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 15:06 EDT-0400

If you want to just try an SSD, but I would still get the PSU. Cyberpower is known for using junk quality units. Personally, I think going with the refresh above, and getting on a modern platform, is a better idea, though.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $135.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 15:09 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 24, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $406.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 15:06 EDT-0400

If you want to just try an SSD, but I would still get the PSU. Cyberpower is known for using junk quality units. Personally, I think going with the refresh above, and getting on a modern platform, is a better idea, though.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $135.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 15:09 EDT-0400

This is a great list. Thank you! Do you think my GPU is sufficient?

logainofhades

Titan
Reactions: steve0178
Sep 24, 2020
It will need upgraded, as well, but your current CPU is going to hold back any decent GPU upgrade. It should be sufficiently more than minimum requirements, for the title you linked, though. It' a good 6 tiers higher, than the min callout of a GTS 450.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I really appreciate it! I'll start with the build you recommended, and look at upgrading the GPU sometime down the line. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.