Help me upgrade my FX8320 system!

Koen_S1

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hello guys!

Im a guy who loves gaming on a budget. Im currently on my third build. My first was a cheapo pc from a friend, second was an i3 3220 based system with Radeon HD 7850 and my current one has seen a couple evolutions including CPU change from phenom ii x4 to FX 8320 and going from single 7850 to crossfire 7850 to single gtx 780ti.
Almost everything in my current build is second hand except the case (lovely birthday present), PSU (dont wanna go cheap on that) and HDD's.
I love to go bargain hunting for second hand hardware and got some amazing deals sofar (one of the best was an asus VG278HE 144Hz monitor for €80 last month). However, of course my system is never done so I'm looking for new (affordable) impovements.

Currently, my build contains:
CPU: AMD FX 8320, watercooled by an Artic 240mm AIO
GPU: MSI gtx 780ti Gaming 3GB
MOBO: Asrock 970 Extreme3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
PSU: Enermax triathlor eco 650W
HDDs: Two 500GB drive, two 250GB laptop drives in raid -> getting replaced by new 1TB drive
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Case: Sharkoon BW9000W

So, I'm currently having another need for new hardware. My friend is building a NAS and we decided to buy a pc together and split the parts. I found an amazing deal on the following build:

CPU: FX 6300
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 660 2GB
MOBO: ASUS m5A-97 R2.0
RAM: Corsair Valueselect 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair CX500M
Case: Corsair carbide 300R
HDD: New WD 1TB HDD

We paid 160 euros for it and since we both dont need the GTX 660 we plan on selling it (should be min. €40, so ends up at €60 pp)
The plan was as follows: I switch MOBOs with the 'new' pc (leaving me with the Asus m5a which i plan on OCing on, something that was baerly possible on the Asrock board), expand my RAM to 16GB and replace my old HDD with the new 1TB one. My friend would then get the case, PSU, CPU and my current MOBO(he already had RAM), leaving us both with the desired parts.
HOWEVER
I am since having doubts about my processor. I have no regrets about purchacing the pc since I can still easely sell my portion of the parts and turn a small profit. But when I compare the fx 8320 to an i5-3570 for example the main consesus online is that the i5 is a far better option for gaming.
So I was hoping I could get some help from you guys. I want to stay with ddr3 for now but how much of an improvement does OCing the fx8320 bring in terms of gaming? I play CS:GO and other FPS mainly, and know that CS:GO is very CPU dependent. So will I see a significant fps increase? Am I better of investing in a new MOBO and processor once I find a decent deal? Looking at my system, what would be other good upgrades?
Any suggestions (within budget ofc) are welcome!
Thanks!