Help Me Upgrade My Rig (long post)

mingwyo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Preface
At the end of 2011 I decided I was going to go back to a desktop after being a laptop guy for a decade. I knew the end of the laptop was coming and figured a desktop for everyday use (media, select games) and a tablet was all I would need in the future. I joined Tom’s in January ’12 and learned everything here that was needed to build my first custom rig. As I said then, my goals were simple. Match a Mac Pro’s specs and play games/media. I only played one game – Civ V – and I streamed videos to my Xbox. Since then, I’ve added SimCity and OOTP ’15 to the games list (although I play quite infrequently) and haven’t streamed much due to Amazon Prime and Netflix. I still use the rig for music.

The 2012 Build
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
CPU/RAM: Intel i5-2500k
Graphics: Galaxy GTX 560ti 448core
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x 4gb
Monitor: Hannspree 28” LCD
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650
SSD: Samsung 830 64GB

The Results
Overall, very positive. As you may be able to quickly tell, I went with average to above average hardware, but clearly skimped on storage. Sure enough the first issue I ran into (earlier this year – 2 years post-build) was a maxed out SSD. If you remember early 2012, hard drives were outrageously expensive due to the tsunami and I was on a budget (the entire build was ~ $1,600). I bought a Samsung 840 250gb SSD in March ’14 and honestly, that’s where the issues began that has led to this post. More on that later.

My goal was small upgrades every few years, keeping the same basic design. This may belong in the preface, but here’s something about me: I prefer to tear things down to the core when malfunctioning. I don’t mind moving due to the fact that I get a chance to throw half of my junk away. If my tires are going bald, I buy new wheels and a lift kit too.

The Issues
Minor annoyances have occurred since I used Paragon to move my O/S from the 64gb SSD to the 250gb SSD in March ‘14. At that point I also noticed that I installed certain programs unintentionally on my HDD (Microsoft Office 2010, specifically Outlook – being the most prevalent – and the biggest cause of annoyances until today – reinstalled for a 3rd time and I think I finally have fixed it).

Long story short, the computer began making churning, or thinking noises (as a separate thread incorrectly describes as the HDD). My HDD is currently unplugged, and the noises continue, leading me to believe that it’s the processor.

Ultimately, the rig is in good shape. But these minor annoyances over the past few months have led me to start investigating a fully upgraded computer with fresh installs of everything (I still refuse to transition to Windows 8, and I am too cheap to buy Office 2014, but I prefer a clean slate and would buy another Windows 7 if need be).

The Plan
That’s what I’m here for. Ideas. This site has no shortage of insight and opinions and I value yours more than my own, as I know I’m just a novice in this world. The good news is that money is not as tight as it was in 2012 and I can splurge a bit if needed.

Storage
I would like to keep my SSDs (O/S on the 250gb, 64gb a backup for programs when the 250gb fills up), and although I originally thought my HDD was the culprit of the new noises, it turns out that it’s probably ok. My music has been on the HDD and iTunes does get stuck quite a bit now while switching songs…quite annoying. My music can fit on my SSD in a pinch.

Case / Mother Board
I wouldn’t mind a smaller case, which would mean a new mobo. I’m fine with this if it enhances the overall experience/maintenance.

I will take measures on a potential new case that I didn’t previously:
1) I want to ensure negative air pressure (I added 2 fans in March ’14 as well, and honestly have no idea if I helped). Help on this would be appreciated.
2) Prevent dog hair and dust from entering the case (yes the case does sit on the floor and really has to until we move and I get an “office,” and I have no problem using dryer sheets to accomplish this). We have added a 2nd dog to our life and the amount of dust/hair in the computer even weeks after cleaning is absurd. My computer is in the living room until we buy a new place. My wife thinks the computer is gross now too.

Processor
Do I keep the 2 year old i5 if I switch mobos? Is my processor what’s making noises now (clicking/thinking/working noises)? My venture into overclocking was brief. Early into the build I overclocked and lost stability quickly. I went back to stock (or maybe I used gigabyte’s software to “overclock” one level up using its settings – I can’t remember) and have had zero crashes since.

Ram
I think my Vengeance ram is still a good choice, but would like to upgrade to 16gb. I built my mom a rig in late 2013 and went 16gb and it seems much more smooth. As I’ll discuss below, if more ram will cause late-game Civ V to run more smooth, sign me up. However from everything I’ve read, more than 16gb of ram is more or less worthless. OOTP ’15 has crashed more often than ’14 – to the point that I stopped playing it. That may be their new relationship with Steam…or it may be my rig. Not sure.

Graphics
I haven’t had any complaints about my graphics card – I think. I stopped playing huge worlds in Civ V because late game it drags horribly (not nearly as bad however as some complaints around the interweb). This drag may be more processor/ram related than graphics. With Civ VI coming out next quarter, I would like (in theory) to be able to play a massive world, late game, with zero complaints. Is that so difficult? I would be willing to upgrade the card if need be.

Power
I have zero complaints about my power supply – unless you tell me that I should have complaints. I do have complaints with the massive amount of extra power cable that I have in the case. I would love a simpler wiring design – less extra plugs. Plugs that are specific to my rig would be great, rather than 3 types of plugs on each branch…2 being worthless.

Extras
I haven’t used the wireless card I bought in 2012, and have only used my DVD drive a handful of times. I would still install the DVD drive into the new rig, just to have…but it’s unnecessary most of the time. My monitor was cheap for the size and it’s a TV screen and does not have full 1900x1200 resolution. And it has a white spot dead center. The price of LCDs is so reasonable now, a replacement is in the near future. As is an Xbox One. I like the idea of streaming my music into NHL 15 (assuming they allow it as that’s up for debate this year) etc. That said….

I would not be against a hackintosh. I built this rig to compete head-to-head with the specs of the Mac Pro of early 2012. I built my mom’s rig to match up to a 2013 Mac Pro. I have long wanted a Mac, but am cheap and wouldn’t spend that kind of money. If you tell me to just build a hackintosh, I will listen. But then it won’t speak to my Xbox or future xbone. I find myself stuck in an incompatible world – iPhone, Kindle Fire, PC, Xbox…..

Thanks
That’s it! Thanks for taking the time to read 1,200 words about my feelings. And a huge thanks in advance for any ideas!

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
My ideas from what I understood (English is not my first language).

Storage: You can buy just an additional HDD it would be the most cost effective choice is you run out of space.

CPU/Motherboard/RAM: Still very capable parts. I think the clicking noise could be from hair/fur stuck in the CPU heat sink fan. Try checking that all connections/wires are properly connected.

Case: If you can, put it on an elevated surface (table) to lessen the amount of fur that can get to your case. Try adding dust filters on the top of your case (fur might get through there while PC is turned off).

Graphics: Since you're planning to play at a higher resolution, I would like to suggest getting a higher end graphics card. An R9 270X or GTX 760 (or better) can do the job in playing high settings at 1080p (the extra gpu ram might help).

Power: You power supply is really good but if you're having problems with wires then a semi/full modular power supply would solve your wire issue.

I hope it helps.

mingwyo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

English is the only language I know, and yours appears better than mine.

I don’t think I need more storage. At first I was worried that my WD HDD was dying, but I think it’s actually fine. My diagnostic skills are poor – in just about everything. When it comes to my cars, I can fix about everything, but first I need help determining what the problem is.

Good to hear. Although the sound is a distinct thinking/processing noise. I can take it all apart and clean it, but it still seems like something is working harder than it should. If the fur is the culprit, that just seems too easy.

I know – the PC is in our living room and I’m trying to make as small a footprint here as possible for now. I suppose I can get rid of the limited desk space that I have. When we move, I will get a new desk and more space…

Thanks!

Yeah – I’ve never had an issue with the power…just the cord management job that I’ve done is terrible…although I didn’t have much of a choice with the massive amount of extra cord that came with the PSU.

Thanks again!

mingwyo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Did a thorough cleaning, removing almost all components (left the mobo and processor/cooler in), reorganized the cables, added some dryer sheets and repositioned some fans. No more clicking/thinking noise. Also moved the PC on top of the desk.

That said, I'm still thinking of upgrades. I noticed that with my cooler, I may not be able to squeeze more RAM in there.

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Good to hear that the noise issue was solved.

Dryer sheets? (googles... ^_^)

There are low proflie RAMs like these http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-low-profile-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9. I'm not sure if you can mix those with what you're using though.

mingwyo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I have Vengeance ram in there right now...looks like if it would clear the cooler it would be by a hair.