Question Help me use my Klipsch Home Audio Speakers for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfaulk

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Hello!

Just bought a Lexus RX300 2003 yesterday. The speaker system is horrible. I happen to have a set of Klipsch 2.1 Computer Speakers that I am not using at the house. The set includes two satellite speakers and a 6.5'' sub encased. Gives phenomenal sound quality for the price & size. I would like to figure out how I can use these speakers in the car, I will not be opening up the speakers in any way.

I do not know much at all about speakers but I know there is an amp inside the subs of home subs. If y'all could inform me on the best way to convert the power from AC to DC and how to do this without pulling too much power from the battery.

I have no issue whatsoever pulling the plug on the power for the original car speakers and only having the Klipsch working in the car, but if there is enough excess power from the battery to include both that'd be great.

Here are the specs on how much power they need

Total System Power: 100 watts continuous/200 watts peak @ <0.2% THD
260 watts short-term peak power
Satellites: 18 watts/channel continuous @ <0.2% THD, 1kHz
26 watts/channel short-term power @ <5% THD, 1kHz
Subwoofer: 65 watts continuous @ <0.2% THD, 50 Hz
80 watts short-term power @ <5% THD, 50Hz

Please make my dream come true thanks guys

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would not suggest using them in a car. they have a built in AMP and the head unit will not be able to control the volume.
Car speakers are more robust than stationary units, bumps in the road and suspension shock can act to wear the stationary units down for a very short working life.

if you proceed the easiest way to power them would be a DC-AC inverter. car power port to 300W inverter then plug the speakers in to the inverter for 110v AC and only then if the cars electrical system can power that.

example only not an endorsement, shop around

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-Power-Inverter-Adapter/dp/B004MDXS0U

mfaulk

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I would not suggest using them in a car. they have a built in AMP and the head unit will not be able to control the volume.
Car speakers are more robust than stationary units, bumps in the road and suspension shock can act to wear the stationary units down for a very short working life.

if you proceed the easiest way to power them would be a DC-AC inverter. car power port to 300W inverter then plug the speakers in to the inverter for 110v AC and only then if the cars electrical system can power that.

example only not an endorsement, shop around

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-Power-Inverter-Adapter/dp/B004MDXS0U
There really won't be a problem with power consumption? I don't want to mess up battery or alternator.

I can create some sort of mount for the speakers. The car is in great condition and the speakers look badass so im not gonna do some ghetto ****

Thank you for the help

mfaulk

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
As already said, using speakers designed for indoor home use in a car is not going to end well. They are two entirely different sonic environments and those Klipsch's will actually sound rather dreadful in a car.
Yup, I already got that. Not really asking about the sound quality.

If I grab an amp will power be an issue?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
those speakers are not designed to work with an amplified signal.
The amp is in the subwoofer and that will be all the amp the speakers need. the output of a soundcard or an MP3 player or a phone is what the speakers need and that is never more than 1W.
unless you use the headphone jack from the head unit any signal will be too much.
IDK how the AMP will handle the rough treatment a car will give, auto circuit boards are hardened for things that home units are not. I fear lose or detaching capacitors on the AMP itself.
the peak max power draw of the speakers is 260W so an inverter that can sustain 300W will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.