[SOLVED] Help me with a storage device, Please.

Martin2014

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
I have a WD SATA 64mb cache 1TB WS10EZEX. It was a main harddrive in another computer I have taken out and tried to format.
History:
I have clean the board connectors.
It shows in Bios
And I sometimes can get it to show in Disk Management
The biggest problem I am having is it is causing lag while I have it power up and trying to format it which never seems to succeed, I get real close... but I cant quite seem to get over the hump. as it were ~ I am not intrested in what was on it as much as I just want it restored to ntfs full volume

Im am going to get some screen shots to help show my dilemma. I have been reading and learning from searching on the net the past two days... Frustrated and wants to learn whats wrong.

Thanks in Advance

Solution
I think it has Firmware problem. You can try one thing may help to determine the problem. Run mhdd and ready detect hdd. Connect hdd give power. Once your connect the hdd ASAP detect hdd. It should can get it recognized. This way for get it recognized one time only if it has firmware problem. Not for solution the problem.
Many spinning drives in the initial stages of failure after a partial head crash will exhibit symptoms of taking a long time to read contents therein, 30 minute boot-times, or, actually locking up computers for many minutes while trying to read them with numerous retries...

If this problem follows the drive to more than one computer, and it won't even format correctly without hanging up, it's likely best to take the quite strong hint that it has, at a minimum,...'issues'...

On the positive side, internal 2 TB drives are about $50 these days...but with 1 TB Crucial MX500's at $100 or so..why bother with spinners at all..(unless you need more than 2 TB)

Martin2014

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
so reading a bit more on head crashes, basically the head wore out. would that be correct? just trying to understand why, this HD hasnt had that much use. it was working when I took it out, but it did lay up for a year before I decided to power it back up again...

P.s Has already ordered SSD and a 2T HDD, Just wanted to make dang sure this HDD was done...

Last edited:

Martin2014

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
while I have your attention, Curious about another thing if you dont mind me asking. can you fry/burn up SSD cards, I have a 250 Sandisk I tried to plug in to my PC and the moment I plugged it in it shut my computer down. and it would power back up either, till I unplugged the power to the MOBO. and plugged it all back in. what happened there? and now when I go to put it back into the computer it was in, the machine says no operating system found to hard drive found period.

May 9, 2019
I think it has Firmware problem. You can try one thing may help to determine the problem. Run mhdd and ready detect hdd. Connect hdd give power. Once your connect the hdd ASAP detect hdd. It should can get it recognized. This way for get it recognized one time only if it has firmware problem. Not for solution the problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS