Question Help me with AMD Ryzen 3300X high idle clocks and voltage

DonoDonato

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Bought the Ryzen 3300X and i've realized it acts completely spastic:
keeps high clocks, voltages, boost unnecesarilly on idle, fans out of whack, spikey temps and wattage.

Partial Remedies that i found to work:
*Chipset driver update (massive improvement);
*AMD baalanced power plan's PCIE savings set to maximum savings;
*C-State Control (enabled);
*Core Boosting (Disabled, boosts only to 3.8Ghz);
*Multithreading support disabled (this does not effect much, but slightly reduces wattage and temps);
*BIOS update (2020/07/01);
*All bacground Windows 10 apps disabled, uninstalled, and even Windows Indexing disabled.
*I solveed the spikey fan issues by changing Fan curves in BIOS to flat lines (same speed from 35 to 55C, and then goes up).

And after ALL that, at IDLE, it never downclocks below 2199Mhz @ 0.9v, and the Package Wattage bounes up and down, and cores keep boosting to 3.8 on slightest mouse movement.

Is there a Min. clock and voltage limit below which Ryzen 3300X will not go, or is there something wrong. How do i make it downclock more in idle. My I5-6500 would downclock to 800Mhz and do the same tasks as Ryzen even faster. I am considering trying Undervoltng the processor, but i would like to find a propper soltion to this.

My Coputer:
AMD Ryzen 3300X
MSI B550M Mortar Wifi
G.SKILL Flare X 3200Mhz CL14
ADATA XPG 512 Pro NVME>
Stock cooler.

DonoDonato

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
I've tried to install MSI dragon center, which also installed a _SOK for windows, which seems to have made the boosting behaviour more predictable. Now the PCIE power savings option in the power plan seems to effect the max boosting frequency, however the CLocks still never drop below 2199MHZ, and the "Processor's Minimum state is still completely disregarded".

However the Dragon Center seems to use a wopping +5W of power jus to run in the bacground. After uninstaling the center itself (and the _SOK thing is probaly still installed, so the PCIE power plan setings work.

However durng the instalation my screen flashed multiple times. I've noticed the same flashing/instability issue later on, and it seems it seems MSI software caused the CPU to drop closk to 176MHZ briefly, which is not good (i've seen in ryzen master the min clock is 550MHZ i believe).

SO my conclusion is that all the issues (well at least for me, because i want things to work the way they are intended to, and not just forget about them), are caused by either a Buggy Bios, or MSI's B550M mortar max's chipset software. The bios is 2020, July 7th, whilst the CHipset Driver is a moth earlier. Perhaps that's the problem, thus the many bugs.

I will try waiting for a new Bios release, and a chipset driver which woul be of latter than the newest bios date. It sucks having OCD.

It seems i'm not the only one having boosting issues, as i've noticed on internet.

TRENDING THREADS