Question Help me with my issue!

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Hey, I've been bothered the last few days by something that happens occasionally when I'm gaming. I've been able to game flawlessly usually, but now I'm getting some power issues, I think.

Whenever I'm in a game which is RAM heavy such as Rust, or GTA 5, and the world needs to load in, my computer freezes, the audio being dragged and stretched in my speaker/earbuds (audio freezing too) and occasionally, it'll hard-freeze and require me to shut off the computer through my button. The first time it happened, I went and dusted out the entire computer. It happened again, so I updated graphics drivers, updated my BIOS (they were very outdated, 2016) I have an ASUS G11CD-K computer. It still happens when I'm playing.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
2 VENGEANCE 8GB RAM sticks (16GB)
500W power supply
Think these are the most important specs.

I also checked the event manager thingy on Windows, and i have a critical error called 41 Kernel-Power that happens apparently.

Here's a screenshot of my power usage, gpu temp & usage and FB usage (i dont know what FB usage means) while my computer is freezing up like this

View: https://i.imgur.com/YBxbKu3.png

Please help me. I realized this is most likely related to GPU, considering when I startup the game rust, and look at Task Manager at the same time, my GPU will go to 0% usage for the game and thats when the entire computer freezes up and my mouse moves stuttery. Please move to graphics cards.

Last edited:

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
That 500 Watt PSU: Make, Model, age, condition?

What other components are installed: drive(s), audio, anything else in PCIe slots, fans, etc..?

Total up the required wattages and add 25%. How close is that value to 500?
The thing is, the computer is pre-built. It means there's no way they put in the wrong PSU that won't have enough wattage. I think also it's not a power issue. The kernel-power issues in event manager don't happen exactly at time of my freezes, they only happen when im pressing the button on case to shut off the computer after freezes, that explains it since those issues are common apparently (from what ive read) when shutting off computer manually.

I think it's a GPU or RAM issue, but I have no idea. I've got 16 GB's of RAM, and the games (GTA 5, Rust) that I've noticed the issue in use alot of ram when loading in the world, but not so much that 16GB shouldn't be enough. The computer was bought in 2016 around 03/10.

(BUT THE ODD THING IS; yesterday when I updated my BIOS and graphics driver, the crashing didnt happen! I played rust flawlessly yesterday for the entire night and GTA 5 I played like 6 hours straight, with the world loading in good too!! How could this happen now, this morning, but not yesterday night? But it also happened yesterday in the day?)

Since you're a mod, can you move this to Graphics Card subforum?

Ralston18

Titan
First:

"the computer is pre-built. It means there's no way they put in the wrong PSU that won't have enough wattage. "

I would not rely on that per se. In the rush to "deliver" all sorts of things can happen. Knowingly or unknowingly. Plus there is the consideration that the PSU may indeed be defective and thus failing in some manner.

Second:

Take a look in Reliability History/Manager. Bit easier to read than Event Viewer. Look for error codes and warnings therein. Even informational events.

Suggest holding on moving thread (to GPUs) for the time being.

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
First:

"the computer is pre-built. It means there's no way they put in the wrong PSU that won't have enough wattage. "

I would not rely on that per se. In the rush to "deliver" all sorts of things can happen. Knowingly or unknowingly. Plus there is the consideration that the PSU may indeed be defective and thus failing in some manner.

Second:

Take a look in Reliability History/Manager. Bit easier to read than Event Viewer. Look for error codes and warnings therein. Even informational events.

Suggest holding on moving thread (to GPUs) for the time being.

You guys aren't understanding the timeline. I did explain it.
Three days ago: Issue started happening, cleaned out dust in computer, issue kept happening. Played anyways and just lived with it.
Two days ago: Issue happened again, just kept playing and ignoring it to be honest and playing lighter games like browser games and watching youtube.
Yesterday: Couldn't bare it anymore, updated graphics driver & bios, games worked for the entirety of yesterday, played many hours without any problems.
Today: The problem occured again.

@Mandark ruined the thread a little bit by thinking i updated my drivers JUST NOW i didnt, i did yesterday and that fixed the problem for just yesterday (coupled with updating my bios), and now the problem happened TODAY again

Do we have the timeline good here?

Anyhow, I checked the reliability issue @Ralston18 , you might've been right. I got only 1 hardware fault report there, from today, exactly at the time i was playing. The event name is called "LiveKernelEvent" with a code of 141. Altough I don't know what to do with that info.

D

Deleted member 14196

I am sorry for ruining your thread. What you could try is booting into safe mode and using the DDU utility to remove all traces of your GPU drivers and then reinstall the new ones. If you still have problems it’s probably GPU hardware related

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
I am sorry for ruining your thread. What you could try is booting into safe mode and using the DDU utility to remove all traces of your GPU drivers and then reinstall the new ones. If you still have problems it’s probably GPU hardware related
Uh, okay, so I uninstalled all GPU drivers with DDU, now i booted up and one of my monitors isnt working and i cant find nvidia program, think it uninstalled that too for some reason... Do i install nvidia gforce again and stuff and install drivers? (Ive never done this before, never used DDU)

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes now reinstall your GeForce experience or whatever your drivers are

So what you’ve done is you’ve removed the GPU drivers from windows and now it knows nothing about it until you re-install them so this is expected behavior

It is not always necessary to use this method but when having driver problems or possible driver problems this is used to rule those out

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Yes now reinstall your GeForce experience or whatever your drivers are

So what you’ve done is you’ve removed the GPO’s drivers from windows and now it knows nothing about it until you re-install them so this is expected behavior
Thanks for explaining it, im dummy dumb, like, i am not tech savvy, i know a little bit but not much, will install, then reboot, then go ahead and play Rust and try to get it to load in world etc to replicate issue and see if it still happens, update coming

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Update: After completely wiping graphics drivers, then installing them again, booting up Rust and running to a new area for the game to load again (which again, my computer hasn't had a problem with loading before, just started a few days ago) the stuttering and freezing happened again, i didn't keep going to see my PC fully freeze, so the issue didnt trigger in the reliablity history, but what's interesting is that MSI Afterburner showed my power % to be OVER 100% by a few percentage at times.
@Ralston18 @Mandark

Now what? 🙏

edit: I was wondering if, maybe my cable solution is causing power outage to the power supply?
I have all my cables lazily shoved into a big pouch mounted under my desk. Should I try taking them all out, unfolding etc so they'll be hanging and dangling as they would to see if any change?

D

Deleted member 14196

Now it’s back to the power supply it doesn’t look like it’s capable of handling your demands and you thinking that they couldn’t of made a mistake is incorrect.

they sell it at the highest possible price with the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. you probably just need a good power supply

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Now it’s back to the power supply it doesn’t look like it’s capable of handling your demands and you thinking that they couldn’t of made a mistake is incorrect.

they sell it at the highest possible price with the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. you probably just need a good power supply
But, what about that it has worked since 2016?

D

Deleted member 14196

Things fail over time and use. Personally I wouldn’t trust the cheap PSU because if it blows you can take out your motherboard and other components

You might also have GPU hardware failure

Reactions: crackedup

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
I've identified what I think is the issue. MSI Afterburner shows me that right before the stutters and dips, my power reaches above 100%, which to me tells me that it reaches above 500W, most likely from what I think, this isn't that my computer parts use over 500W, because after looking at specs for me PC, usage is less than that, so this could only be explained by someone who knows this, someone help? I think it's that my PSU isnt capable right now (3 years use, no more than 12h runtime per day tbh, less some days) of putting out 500W. Maybe software error? Something stopping it from doing so?

Here's the dip in afterburner
View: https://i.imgur.com/AgNsu0d.png

Any help, greatly appreciated, really hoping for this not to be the PSU dying on me, considering I don't have money for a new PSU :( 🙏

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
I've identified what I think is the issue. MSI Afterburner shows me that right before the stutters and dips, my power reaches above 100%, which to me tells me that it reaches above 500W, most likely from what I think, this isn't that my computer parts use over 500W, because after looking at specs for me PC, usage is less than that, so this could only be explained by someone who knows this, someone help? I think it's that my PSU isnt capable right now (3 years use, no more than 12h runtime per day tbh, less some days) of putting out 500W. Maybe software error? Something stopping it from doing so?

Here's the dip in afterburner
View: https://i.imgur.com/AgNsu0d.png

Any help, greatly appreciated, really hoping for this not to be the PSU dying on me, considering I don't have money for a new PSU :( 🙏
Tell the PSU brand and model.

Last edited:

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
It seems to be an "iPower 85 550"
http://www.acbel.com/eng/Product.aspx?id=79&&sd=31&&pid=317

My specs i listed dont add up to above 500w
The thing is not wattage. It is the quality of the PSU. The PSU components are of cheap quality. Also you can prove it yourself by playing games at lower settings. As the power requirements decrease the PC does not crash. For now just play at lower settings and if you can, upgrade the PSU as soon as you can and it will run fine.

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
The thing is not wattage. It is the quality of the PSU. The PSU components are of cheap quality. Also you can prove it yourself by playing games at lower settings. As the power requirements decrease the PC does not crash. For now just play at lower settings and if you can, upgrade the PSU as soon as you can and it will run fine.
That's the funny thing though, I set Rust to the lowest of lowest settings when I last updated (see above posts) while testing, the power still went over 100% in afterburner, and stuttered & froze. (And the fact that this issue hasn't occured in the 3 years I've had the computer, tells me this might be related to something else?)

Ralston18

Titan
I am very much thinking that the PSU is past its prime.

Yes. Try lowering the power requirements. Game at lower settings.

Remember that the objective is to test the PSU. Play to win but start low and work up through the higher settings.

You may find some configuration settings that permit satisfactory game play without stressing the PSU.

However, you are leaving the system at risk if the PSU suddenly decides "enough is enough".

Updgrading the PSU, per @60frames suggestion, is a good idea.

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
That's the funny thing though, I set Rust to the lowest of lowest settings when I last updated (see above posts) while testing, the power still went over 100% in afterburner, and stuttered & froze. (And the fact that this issue hasn't occured in the 3 years I've had the computer, tells me this might be related to something else?)
It cannot be anything other than PSU. If you want to try then reinstall windows. It may or may not solve the problem. Just wait for new PSU. You could test your system with other PSU. These cheap PSUs are really sensitive to heat as the components are of cheap quality and they give up after few years no matter how much you maintain it.