Question Help me with my issue!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Hey, I've been bothered the last few days by something that happens occasionally when I'm gaming. I've been able to game flawlessly usually, but now I'm getting some power issues, I think.

Whenever I'm in a game which is RAM heavy such as Rust, or GTA 5, and the world needs to load in, my computer freezes, the audio being dragged and stretched in my speaker/earbuds (audio freezing too) and occasionally, it'll hard-freeze and require me to shut off the computer through my button. The first time it happened, I went and dusted out the entire computer. It happened again, so I updated graphics drivers, updated my BIOS (they were very outdated, 2016) I have an ASUS G11CD-K computer. It still happens when I'm playing.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
2 VENGEANCE 8GB RAM sticks (16GB)
500W power supply
Think these are the most important specs.

I also checked the event manager thingy on Windows, and i have a critical error called 41 Kernel-Power that happens apparently.

Here's a screenshot of my power usage, gpu temp & usage and FB usage (i dont know what FB usage means) while my computer is freezing up like this

View: https://i.imgur.com/YBxbKu3.png

Please help me. I realized this is most likely related to GPU, considering when I startup the game rust, and look at Task Manager at the same time, my GPU will go to 0% usage for the game and thats when the entire computer freezes up and my mouse moves stuttery. Please move to graphics cards.

Last edited:

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Ok, thank you guys. Im kinda sour 'bout this considering the money of a new psu, if i do get one, it'll probs be a corsair 650W just to make sure i got enough power... for future upgrades too

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
One weird thing.. that still i can't explain, is how I played fine yesterday evening for HOURS on both games i had stutters on earlier yesterday and today and the other day?

Also, can it be dangerous for my PC to keep using for internet browsing etc while i get a new one? (Internet browsing doesnt seem to trigger it, altough i can see my power % being a constant 12-13% while browsing videos etc, then suddenly surging to 43~? Is that power surges? Will it fry my motherboard? Plz just tell if dangerous i dont want my computer FULLY dead haha <3 Thank you all for help @Ralston18 @60frames @Mandark

Last edited:

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Typing from my phone, decided to shut off computer, freezing started happening on Youtube, will get rid off PSU and not use PC until new one arrives this week. Found money somehow mayb dealt drugs i dunno, anyway, thanks everyone for helping me identify issue! ❤️

crackedup

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
it's the PSU, like i suggested way above.. LOL, can't be anything but.
There is a good possibility that the PSU is the cause. If it were me, i'd still want to do a clean install on another SSD first, to ensure the issue isn't software related.

Guys, the problematic PSU has been removed. I played rust for an hour with no issues, but i still get little spikes in power usage while watching for example youtube, and while booting up GTA 5 my power % went to 105%, which idk if it should, the thing is 100% for my PC isnt even 500W so 105% shouldn't be an issue, but is there a problem still unless i get the stuttering and freezing again?

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
Guys, the problematic PSU has been removed. I played rust for an hour with no issues, but i still get little spikes in power usage while watching for example youtube, and while booting up GTA 5 my power % went to 105%, which idk if it should, the thing is 100% for my PC isnt even 500W so 105% shouldn't be an issue, but is there a problem still unless i get the stuttering and freezing again?
Do not care about power,monitor the temps only.