Help me with my shutdown prob...

ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Ok im going to throw alot of info at you so soak it all in...

First the problem:

When playing Rome:Total War demo, which is the only game Im playing now so my only example, the entire system will shut down about 2 minutes into the battle. There is a QUICK blue screen (not the blue screen of death) but I only have a SPLIT second to read it. The only words I caught were "avoid damage" etc etc. Tells me the cpu is overheating... Right? But....

I tried running 3dmark03... FOR THE MOST PART, it runs fine through the first tells then shuts down on the first CPU graphics test... But, its only 3dmark03 that shuts down, not the whole system.

This happened to me before, with the same setup, when my graphics card wasnt getting enough power so it would shut down in 3d applications. Fixed it by getting it more power.

Also, I cant be certain... But I THINK this problem started right after I cleaned out all the dust bunnies and reset the entire system. I re-did the BIOS to what I could remember.... But I may be over-timing my cheap memory, not sure. I loosed up on the timings but still same problem...

Thats all I can say... Give me any suggestions?

2500+ overclocekd to 3200+ on Nforce 2 mobo running at 200/400 fsb in sycn with pc3200 OCZ basic ram. Radeon 9500 NP softmodded to 9700 and overclocked alot.

Thanks

ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
No.... I dont really have a program for that, and have been to lazy to download one :) tehe.

So, I did a little messin around. I lowered the cpu and memory speed alot, and 3dmark03 ran perfect. I raised cpu back up to 200/400 fsb and left memory low, higher than the first low test but still low, and 3dmark03 shutdown.

So its a cpu prob then right? Overheating perhaps? But Ive always run this speed... And its only 3dmark03 shutting down, not the whole computer. Except for Rome, then its the whole computer.

I feel the heatsink and its not that warm...

Power problem out of nowhere?

endyen

Splendid
It would help to know what processor, and motherboard you are running.
It is usually easy to get idle temps, by going into bios, they are usually in a section called hardware or something similar.
If you are running pc2700/DDR333 at 1:1 ratio, that is your problem.

ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Ok, thanks for your help..

After toying around I decided to turn down the A/C in the house then try 3dmark03, after having it fail several times moments before. The colder air temp made it so 3dmark03 ran all the way thru.

Its weird this happens now, as before I cleaned the dust there was never a heat problem. Perhaps the cpu is mounted bad...

But yes, thanks