[SOLVED] Help me with SSD update on MSI GL72 -7RDX laptop

Jul 15, 2020
Hi good morning i have a laptop Msi GL 72 7RDX and i want to upgrade the ram and the ssd

I want to buy a

SSD ADATA 512GB S40G PCI Express 3.0, M.2 SPECTRIX

Ram 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz SO-DIMM ADATA - AD4S266638G19-S

I want to know if is a good upgrade and if those are compatible and what about heat throttling., is something to consider here??

Solution
Upgrading ram and a ssd is a great upgrade for a laptop.

For ram, go to a ram web site such as crucial or kingston and access their upgrade app.
Enter your laptop make/model and you will get a list of supported upgrades.

On upgrading the windows C drive, I like to use samsung because of their ssd migration app.
970 evo would be good.
You may need to buy a usb to m.2 pcie adapter cable to do the copy.
When done, simply exchange the drives.

There are some free clone apps like macrium reflect and adata may have an app.

If you are thinking of reinstalling windows, that is also an option, but I have found that it is not easy to track down tne needed software, particularly the keyboard and battery apps.
Upgrading ram and a ssd is a great upgrade for a laptop.

For ram, go to a ram web site such as crucial or kingston and access their upgrade app.
Enter your laptop make/model and you will get a list of supported upgrades.

On upgrading the windows C drive, I like to use samsung because of their ssd migration app.
970 evo would be good.
You may need to buy a usb to m.2 pcie adapter cable to do the copy.
When done, simply exchange the drives.

There are some free clone apps like macrium reflect and adata may have an app.

If you are thinking of reinstalling windows, that is also an option, but I have found that it is not easy to track down tne needed software, particularly the keyboard and battery apps.

Solution
Jul 15, 2020
O select those specific ones...because those are the one that I can get there in my little town. Those are compatible with the laptop ? Also I want to know about about heat throttling.. is something to consider here ?

Likely, they are compatible.
The specs say 2133 ram, but 2666 will run at slower speeds.

The ssd is also likely to be compatible.
But if it is replacing the windows C drive on a m.2 device you need to figure out how you are going to do that.
Clone, or total windows reinstall.
If it is simply a ssd storage device, you should be looking at a 2.5" sata ssd to fit in your second drive space.

Heat throttling is not an issue on ssd devices.
It is an issue on a gaming laptop with a discrete graphics chip.

Run HWmonitor, then play your games.
If you see a maximum temperature near 100c, you have likely throttled.
But, there is little you can do about it other than keep your cooling air paths clear.