Help me with starting my first pc I built please!

Switch87

Honorable
Sep 14, 2016
Hi I will build my first PC in a few days and I got the assembly part figured out (at least on paper)
What I don't have figured out is the process after that.

From reading stuff online I thought that what I had to do was: start it, boot from whatever way the windows comes in (I think it's a usb now), install windows, update motherboard drivers, nvidia drivers and I was good to go.

But today I was watching a video from TheTechReport, and the first thing he does after turning the pc on and entering the bios (before installing windows or anything really) is "first, we are going to update the motherboard's firmware" and he does it by booting from a flash drive. Now, I assume he got it in the drive by downloading it from the internet using another computer which I don't have! Also, my board is gigabyte, and I checked the website and I don't see any firmware download available for it, only "drivers and bios".

Is it the 'bios' thing? Do i need to do this? Every other guide I read always skipped this part for some reason...

Thanks!

Solution
No need to update BIOS firmware.

The only time you update the BIOS is when there is a confirmed fix for something that you're having issues for.

Other than that, you've got the process down exactly.

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
No need to update BIOS firmware.

The only time you update the BIOS is when there is a confirmed fix for something that you're having issues for.

Other than that, you've got the process down exactly.

Solution

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
also - if you do need to update your bios in the future for w.e reason (like wildcard999 said, there is a chance of bricking) but it wont wipe your computer either way. I needed to update my dell mobo bios so it could handle maxwell cards at one point