mike_player2002

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Hello,

i am think about up grade my computer and i am think about going with and or stay with intel. i would like to know some of the diffecent between the two and the best one to get?

acer0169

Distinguished
It's hard to say which is best out of AMD and Intel.

Both have their followers and fan-boys which will argue theirs is better and completely ignore the 'other sides' advantages.

Intel provide the most powerful CPUs you can get, but AMD have a much better performance to cost ratio - so it's up to the buyer to make up their mind which they see as best.

They both have very good features, and some models are very good for keeping cool where as others are better for overclocking.

Depends on budget and the rest of your system.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Come on...AMD is generally good when you cant spend a lot...Intel is generally faster if you have a few more $ available. The issue we always argue about is which cpu wastes more clock cycles sitting around waiting for something to do...

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

If this is the case, then which one would be better suited for gaming if we put temp and amount of power used out of the picture?

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
If you're upgrading I would really advise you to go with an intel CPU with the sandybridge architecture, there's really no point in going for an old CPU like the i7 950 (unless you are not intending on replacing the mobo - as usual, if you are keeping your mobo, check the scoket so you know what CPU is compatible.)

For a good CPU under a budget definitely take the i5-2500k, easy to OC with a huge performance boost, and even on stock clocks can beat the old i7s.

acer0169

Distinguished

There's no point in getting the AMD X6 1100T as it's identical to the 1090T. The 1100T comes with a higher stock clock, but they both have an unlimited multiplier so you could just buy a 1090T, save some money and then overclock it slightly without having to play with voltages etc and get the 1100T speeds.