[SOLVED] Help meee

Mar 12, 2021
I'm so close to ruining a whole family's lives. I'm gonne be really honest. I'm 16. I was installing Windows 10 on some guys PC. I was getting paid. When I was choosing a disk drive to install his 2nd hard drive had "new" button glowing. So I thought they didn't formatted it. I clicked new and applied. And formatted. Then he said his a lot of months work were in there. I panicked and didn't thell him. And lied that it was already like this. I was feeling very guilty so I helped them to recover their data but can't work it out. I'm too broke to use paid softwares and used cracked ones. Stellar phoenix and EaseUS. I'm not begging for money or anything. I didn't write any files on the formatted hard drive. It was 2 days ago. Some recovered files were corrupted. And Sometimes recovery scan stucks, crashes. Is it because I'm using cracked software? Or the hard drive has problem? I just don't know what to do. I'm just an amateur who acted like a professional to get some cash. I don't wanna bail out. Like how do you guys recover data? I saw someone I know recover datas very 100% everytime when he do it. When saw him doing that I didn't see any extra peripheral, just him using some kind of software i don't remember. He was doing it with no problem. So it should work too right? He says that if you write new files to the hdd you want to recover files from you can't recover deleted files. I didn't do that . I can't ask him now it's really complicated. But if I canct find solutions from here, I guess I'll have to ask from him.

Solution
If the drive was showing up as unallocated before you formatted it, then it already had problems. If it gets stuck at 1% when doing a recovery, then this suggests physical problems.

Start with a SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo. Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.

Clone the drive using HDDSuperClone. It's a Linux tool, but the author provides a Live CD to make it easier for Windows users. HDDSuperClone (and ddrescue) understands how to work with bad sectors. Avoid other cloning tools, as they will thrash a failing drive and potentially kill it.

Once you have the clone, you can then run data recovery tools against it. The cheapest of the good tools are DMDE (US$20) and RAISE (US$25). The free...
Mar 12, 2021
There is no "100%" guaranteed data recovery. None.
Don't care what you saw on utube.

1. Stop using cracked software. Period. That WILL do far more harm than good.
  2. Give us a FULL rundown of exactly what you did. St
  3. There is no "100%" guaranteed data recovery. None.

2. Give us a FULL rundown of exactly what you did. Step by detailed step.
    [*][*][*][*][*]
There is no "100%" guaranteed data recovery. None.

2. Give us a FULL rundown of exactly what you did. Step by detailed step.
In "where do you want to install windows" before I chose the SSD to install I checked out his 1tb HDD. And it had no partition, unallocated. So I thought you can't use HDD unless you create a partition. So I clicked new and applied 932gb. And then formatted. That's it. Didn't write any new files on that. And tried to do use some recovery software

Mar 12, 2021
In "where do you want to install windows" before I chose the SSD to install I checked out his 1tb HDD. And it had no partition, unallocated. So I thought you can't use HDD unless you create a partition. So I clicked new and applied 932gb. And then formatted. That's it. Didn't write any new files on that. And tried to do use some recovery software
I thought it was empty didn't bother asking. I mean it was literally unallocated. And then he said it had his months of works. He said that it wasn't finished and it was overdue.

Mar 12, 2021
I thought it was empty didn't bother asking. I mean it was literally unallocated. And then he said it had his months of works. He said that it wasn't finished and it was overdue.
It really had his works. Both EaseUS and Stellar was showing his works in preview screen. Stellar recovered some of it. But they were corrupted. EaseUS was able to play videos and show pictures in preview while scanning but at the second half of the scan it stopped doing that when I clicked recovery it gets stuck at 1%

USAFRet

Titan
For future reference, never ever have more than one drive connected when you want to install windows.

It really had his works. Both EaseUS and Stellar was showing his works in preview screen. Stellar recovered some of it. But they were corrupted. EaseUS was able to play videos and show pictures in preview while scanning but at the second half of the scan it stopped doing that when I clicked recovery it gets stuck at 1%
I have no stick time with this product..............https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
Seen it mentioned in threads.

USAFRet

Titan
So..possible recovery.

1. You WILL need a whole other drive to potentially recover to. You can't recover to this same HDD. You WILL cause more damage trying to do that.
  2. Try Autopsy. https://www.autopsy.com/ Actually free.
  3. The above mentioned Recuva

What you should ACTUALLY do is do a full forensic clone of this drive to another drive of like size. Then, try all your 'data recovery' on that. If something screws up, then you still have the original drive to do it again.
So you'll need at least 2 other drives. 1. The original you already have. 2. A clone target. 3 A recovery target.

Or, fess up to this, and send it to a data recovery company. This WILL cost money. From your pocket.

If the drive was showing up as unallocated before you formatted it, then it already had problems. If it gets stuck at 1% when doing a recovery, then this suggests physical problems.

Start with a SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo. Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.

Clone the drive using HDDSuperClone. It's a Linux tool, but the author provides a Live CD to make it easier for Windows users. HDDSuperClone (and ddrescue) understands how to work with bad sectors. Avoid other cloning tools, as they will thrash a failing drive and potentially kill it.

Once you have the clone, you can then run data recovery tools against it. The cheapest of the good tools are DMDE (US$20) and RAISE (US$25). The free version of DMDE can recover up to 4000 files from any one folder. RAISE is written by the same people who produce UFS Explorer, which is widely regarded as the gold standard in data recovery.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Every step of the way, you've made the situation worse, because you have no idea what you're doing. Tell the full truth to the people, so they can get someone who knows what they're doing to try and save their data. And get cash doing something you know how to do so you can pay back every red cent that you robbed from these people with your incompetence and deceit.

That's how you learn from this. You're trying to find easy ways out of the mess that you caused. There aren't any.

Reactions: Pleaaasehelp