[SOLVED] HELP! Mobo or ISP?

max64751

Honorable
May 28, 2017
Basically, noticed after having huge ping spikes for a minute or two every other minute. So I checked my LAN ethernet port onboard my motherboard and noticed the an orange LED signifying a slow connection. So I tried two other ethernet cables and had the same problem. Then, thinking the onboard NIC port was broken I bought a new NIC PCIe extension card and plugged in and on the new PCIe NIC card I am still getting a orange light. But, throughout this whole saga the ethernet port on the modem has been flashing green which I believe indicates high speeds. I am really confused on the problem that is causing the ping spikes. Is it most likely a problem with my ISP, which are "working for the next 14 days on repairing your community network" or is it a problem with my motherboard indicating slow speeds on both the on board and PCIe extension ethernet ports?

I really need to repair my wifi for zoom calls for work that I am consistently getting disconnected.

Mobo: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
PCIe Extention NIC card: ASUS XG-C100C
Router: ARRIS SURFBOARD SBG6400
Ethernet Cables I tried: Two different CAT 5E cables

Solution
First, the color of the light isn't standard on ports, so the colors can indicate the opposite of what you're thinking or even be the same thing, which is more likely.

If your isp is working on a repair, then it is more than likely your isp is the issue and there is nothing you can do for now.

You can try using your cell phone hotspot if you desperately need proper access.
First, the color of the light isn't standard on ports, so the colors can indicate the opposite of what you're thinking or even be the same thing, which is more likely.

If your isp is working on a repair, then it is more than likely your isp is the issue and there is nothing you can do for now.

You can try using your cell phone hotspot if you desperately need proper access.

Last edited:
Solution

Latest posts