Help! Mobo shortcircuits when windows finishes loging in?

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hey, theres something wrong with my pc. At first it started to shut down from to time. I couldnt figure out a pattern or something that triggered. It started to become more and more often until each time I boot it, it shuts down as windows logo would go off and windows would start. I tried botting with all sorts of combination on my ram, drives and fans, I cant make it work. This happened to me beforem rearreging the drives & formatting would make it go away for a while.

This happened right after I finished performing a really heavy duty work. Rendering over 2tb of memory in a month.

Temps and voltages seems ok in the bios.

I can access Bios, windows Install and everything but windows itself. Its not even close, not even safe mode. I have tried to install windows in 2 different freshly formatted drives, no luck.

Help I am desesperate. :(

Intel I7 930
Corsir tx850w
PNY 560ti
12gb ram ddr3 3x2gb + 4gb (I am pretty sure the uneven number of ram modules is not the issue)
Gigabyte UDR3
Windows 7 x64
Intel ssd 40gb the oldest ones
Seagate 1500gb 5400rpm drive

If you have access to another PSU try swapping it out.

Also run memtest 86+.

I have read that Intel says the memory controller only works with one channel at 1600MHz if you are using that speed.

Why would you ever run with unmatched DIMMs? that can cause all sorts of problems especially with different settings. Also 3x2GB +4GB is 10 not 12. so is that what you are actually running?

check for firmware updates on the drives and run the manufacturers drive test tools

Finally that motherboard has pretty bad reviews. you might want to search for problems related to it, as well as doing a BIOS update.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
i had a similar problem but with an older mobo of my dads after i ripped out the mobo i noticed a small burn mark on the board im not exactly sure what it was but as soon as windows booted up it would try to access it and crash

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

how do I run memtest 86+? and sorry I do have 3x2 gb + 4gb so thats 10gb. I got it since I read my mobo supported it on the manual, Its not like it can cause problems is more like its not optimal. I have the mobo flashed to the latest updates, and my ssds have the latest firmware as well. 1600 is the stock speed of the memory but it actually runs at like 1200 or less.