Help! Monitor shuts off mid game and goes to "no signal", gpu crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burton480

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hi! First time ever encountering a problem where the internet simply couldn't help me.. Time to make a post myself.

I am currently playing Diablo 3, but have begun to encounter a seriously odd issue. I can play anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour. At some point, the game crashes, the monitor goes black, and a Windows sound occurs...

The display cannot be regained. There is no other way for me to get the monitor to show anything until I restart my whole computer manually. Lead to believe its something similar to the "display driver has stopped responding and has been recovered" error, except NOT RECOVERING...

I have tried underclocking as suggested in some threads I read, messing with every in-game and non in game setting imaginable, still nothing. Crashes at some point.

And now it's not just that game anymore, it's any game I launch! My GPU is at a nice 35-42 degrees celsius at all times... I have no clue what is going on here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Burton480

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I own a GTX970.

I have changed my drivers around three times. Going back to older versions and earlier today updating to a brand new one again. Still the same issues.

In your case here is what I do, since I have experienced this many of times.
First of all.

1. Go to windows control panel and click on windows power options.
For the power profile select high performance, making sure the monitor power setting is set to never to turn off the screen after a set number of minuets or hours of user activity.

Set the computer also to never sleep after a set amount of time in minuets or hours due to inactivity by the user of the system.

Apply the new settings.

Restart the system, let windows load, then test a game again where you know the screen goes black after playing it for a few minuets or hours.

If it still crashes.

Then download and install the program bellow, and run it on your system.
Select remove all Nvidia drivers, and clean the windows registry.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Restart windows, and let it load up again.

Then go to.
www.Geforce.com

And download the latest driver for your model of Nvidia graphics card, and the right driver version for the windows os you are running and it`s bit version for the os.

Install the driver. And then restart your system letting windows load up again.
Then test a game to see if it exhibits any of the problems as before Burton480.

Burton480

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I have tried all of that last night. No success. Still got the exact same issue.

Computer still crashes at some point. Can't recover the display and I have to shut off my computer which potentially hurts it. The computer is still running and my music I have playing is still going, it's literally just the display crashing.

I am really stumped.

Burton480

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Alright I'd say at this point the card has failed somehow so if it is still under warranty, RMA it.

Otherwise I think you will have to buy a new GPU :(

To make sure this is what needs to be done though, take the GPU out completely and boot your pc and play a game using the onboard graphics and just use the PC as you normally would (graphics performance will be considerably poor though but hopefully putting games on low graphics settings and running at 800x600 should be alright.

If the PC performs normally and the display issue doesn't happen then the GPU is definitely borked somehow :(

If it still does happen though it could be your motherboard or even your PSU.

Burton480

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Oh boy. I bought this graphics card exactly a year ago soon over newegg. MSI GTX 970. Most people say it can be a dusty computer or hardware being clogged, but my computer is completely dust free and brand new on the inside. Graphics card looks absolutely brand new, not a single dent or piece of dust.

Is it really the card at that point? Seems incredible. I will however try what you said. Can I actually run a seemingly new video game on my rig without a graphics card? Say something like Diablo 3 or Counter Strike source? Rocket League? I'll try messing with the settings to see if it is possible.

I'll mess around with it and have a look :(

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

CSS most likely yes, but any other game you'll have to run it at an extremely low graphics settings to make it playable unfortunately :(

Burton480

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

I can't connect my computer without my graphics card. No HDMI, no nothing. So I can't get a display to try without the graphics card. If there is no other solution available to fix this, I guess I'll have to buy a brand new GPU... Sucks. Can't do the RMA because I need my computer for school. Oh well. Guess I might as well get one of those nvidia 10 edition gpus that came out.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

At least you will be able to get a new GPU though, bit of a pain but sometimes parts just fail randomly, sorry we couldn't fix it for you.

whitejacob68

Reputable
Sep 8, 2018
I had the same trouble and found out that it might not be the gpu my problem was the cpu it was over heating mid game cause i had all fans pushing air in and no air geting out make sure u have a exhaust fan before buying a gpu ik this is old but just in case someone else sees this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts