HELP, More ATA100 Fun

G

Okay, here's my deal...

I have an Asus A7V, TB800, Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra APG card, and 3COM 3C905B NIC. I updated my BIOS to 1005D, installed Win98SE (and let setup format the drive) with just the video card, installed the updated ATA100 driver (v1.60, build 33), installed the VIA4in1 drivers, then powered down and inserted the NIC. The machine requests drivers upon reboot, I use the ones on the Win98SE CD and reboot again. When I come back up, the NIC is there and working but guess what happens... come on everyone should know this... I get lock ups. I seem to get them within 45 seconds of me running something to hit the NIC.

The NIC is on IRQ5, but so are the USB Controllers. The ATA100 is on IRQ10! What in the hell could be causing the lockups! I understood it after my first attempt at this (lower BIOS, no updated ATA100, drivers, no 4in1 drivers) cuz everything was on IRQ10. This is weird.

Anyone with any ideas, please post. BTW, I followed Stable's previous post almost to the T in building this. The one exception was after I installed the 4in1 drivers and rebooted, I was asked for a viagart.cat file which I could not find anywhere. I cancelled that installation.

Thanks to everyone!

-bumble

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Your Via drivers didn't install completely. If they did, they should have dropped your viagart.cat file into a created folder in your C:\Windows\System\CatRoot\{big long alphanumeric number here} directory.

Now that you have installed the NIC, you will need to Re-install your 4in1 drivers. Additionally, you may have to watch out for which slot your NIC is in to avoid the interrupt conflict, but I would try to re-install the drivers first.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I have the NIC in slot 4 because I also have a SB Live card that I want to throw in slot 3. As you know, slot 4 shares with USB and slot 3 shares with the on-board audio/AMR so I have a choice to make as to where the overlap is.

As for the installation of the 4in1 drivers... I just ran setup from the extracted zip file. I did select all the options- should I have de-selected any one in particular?

I did think of the driver update for the NIC as I was writing my post. I have downloaded the new one and will give it a try.

Thanks again.

-bumble

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
First, I guess I should have told you to put ALL of your cards in the system before loading the 4in1 drivers. It is kind of essential that they can see all of the devices when they load. I would stick to your plan of using slots 4 for your network card and slot 3 for the sound blaster. (I'm assuming that you have your other USB ports over the slot 5 space).

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'