HELP motherboard powers on with fans but pc wont

VANNIMAL

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
The other day I tried to replace my cpu on my thinkserver ts140 It's a i3-4130@ 3.4ghz LG 550 socket ( I believe) anyways I had the wrong socket type i5 cpu I tried to install it didn't work so I took it out and placed the old one back in and now my pc doesn't power on. The fans spin but nothing else shows up. Could it be the power supply 280w? I have a Radeon r7 2gb in there with 2gb RAM and intended on using it for gaming....SOME ONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT THIS PRO LED PLEASE

MrLehi99

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
The i3-4130 is an LGA 1150 processor, and your think server ts140 apparently comes as standard with Intel Xeon LGA 1150 processors. I think what the issue might be is complicated to figure out. If you didn't move any ram, that isn't the problem. You may have bent a CPU pin or accidentally shorted out a non-critical circuit. The i5 you tried to install, if it was the wrong socket type, could have definitely shorted something out unless you tried to power it on with it forced in or you never fully discharged and drained the system before attempting to service it, because if that's the case, you definitely damaged something. What model is the i5, this will give me a lot more information on what socket type it is. if it is an i5 2000 series, it will be LGA 1155, if it's an i5 3000 series it will be LGA 1155 as well, and finally if it is an i5 4000 series processor, it will be the same LGA 1150, but may not have been supported by your particular motherboard. In any case, the LGA 1155 processors shouldn't fit in the CPU socket you have even though they are the exact same size because Intel specifically keys the processors on their edges to prevent just that.

VANNIMAL

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I tried to fit a LGA

LGALA 115 in place of LGA1150. I have no idea what's wrong...the fans turn on the disc drive opens and works when I put in the ubuntu installation it blinks meaning the system is in so mode but the lights in front that show the HDD power status and power all aren't on which shows they're off for some reason

VANNIMAL

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
what do you mean fully discharging and draining the system? The answer is probably no and yes i accidentally touched the bottom of the chip at some point. do you think its the cpu?? I JUST got this server last week and worked fine until i messeed with that someone pleaseeee helppppp

barto

Expert
Ambassador
I'm not really sure what you did because you're not making any sense to me. I understand you attempted to replace the CPU but what CPU you tried doesn't make any sense. LGALA is nothing. Is that a LGA1155 or LGA1150? What CPU did you specifically use? They all have models on them.

VANNIMAL

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
i took out my i3-4130 and i tried to put in a i5-3570k and i mean LGA1150 and LGA1155. I put the LGA1155 i5 processor in the clamp down part and tried to twice until i realized i had the wrong part. Then i put the i3-4130 back in and it wouldnt boot

VANNIMAL

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
the issue with that is i have a lenovo thinkserver ts-140 i bought 16gb RAM a hard drive all kinds of stuff and i dont think you can just go buy another motherboard for it ive been searching can someone find this out for me please???