[SOLVED] Help move modem to attic(problem with coax)

Jan 10, 2019
so i recently moved to the attic of our house (that is where my computer and the rest of my set up is). The attic is finished from the previous owner and i see that there is a outlet where i can put a coax in. i am thinking of moving the modem upstairs so i can connect via ethernet. i tried it last night but it wouldnt connect(i couldnt google anything after i connected to the ssid) i checked the beaker in the basement like other people have suggested in different forums and i see that a cable named "attic" is connected with multiple other cables. the problem is that the cable in the basement was colored white while the cable in the attic is colored black. also i was wondering if i can identify the wire by the string of numbers and letters on it. here are the photos that you guys might be interested in

https://imgur.com/gallery/FemD51F

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Without knowing what kind of access you have from the splitter to up to and behind the jack you are attempting to connect to, it would be hard to answer.

Are you able to get a TV connection in the attic? Like off the cable box?
Internet service typically takes a bit more signal. You could have a bad splice, another splitter, etc.

With all that said, there are other ways to run a 'CAT' cable possible from the (original) location of the modem/router sometimes.
For instance, if you have drop tile, or a closet nearby you can run a wire that way. If the modem is on an outside wall and you have vinyl siding, you can run a wire that way. Wire molding is a possible way.
If all else fails you could use a wireless solution....

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Looking at all those pics indicates you have a LOT on that same cable. If you don't have TV and are looking only for internet access on that cable, take everything you aren't using loose. Connect your from the street cable to the "attic" cable with a barrel and see if you can get a connection that way.
I would suggest using wire markers (little labels that tear in half with numbers) so you can put everything back if it doesn't work...or tape and a sharpie, etc.

Seeing the white cable downstairs and black up indicates there is a splice or barrel somewhere in between.
All the splitters are certainly degrading signal.

Easiest thing, determine which cable is coming from outside, the service, and connect with a barrel directly to that white "attic" line. This is going on the presumption that no one else in house needs that signal for anything.

The coaxial connector may be disconnected or it may be part of a different account. Locate the cable splitter and see if it is connected to the attic.

Also if this is a Cable connector is there a subscription as a internet provider. The "previous owner" may have had a separate account for the attic. Or it may be for a TV antenna.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can buy a fairly inexpensive tool at Lowes/Depot called a "tone generator" and determine if the cable marked attic in that pic, and the cable at outlet upstairs are the same.

You can do the same with the continuity setting on a meter, a friend, and a small bit of wire....

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

On all your splitters there is an in, and multiple outs. The easiest (assumption) to make is that you will see the out of one splitter going to an in on another on all but one.