Help MS! Strange new Error in Administrative Templates

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Hey everyone,
I've got Windows 2000 Domain Controllers pushed down Group Policy to Windows XP Machines.

Everything has been fine for about 2 years. Now, suddenly, when I click on Administrative Templates in
any of my GPOs, I get this "Warning!" yellow exclamation sign box with the following message:

"the following error occurred in \\mydomain\blahblah\Adm\inetres.adm on line 158:
Error 51 Unexpected keyword

Found: SUPPORTED
Expected:KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART, VALUEON, VALUEOFF, ACTIONLIST, ACTIONLISTOFF, END EXPLAIN, CLIENTEXT

The file can not be loaded."

Then, when I hit 'OK', i get a second message box that says :

"The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been truncated.

The Peer Name Resolution Protocaol (PNRP) allows for distributed resolution of a name to an IPV6 address and port number. The protocol operates in the context of clouds; a cloud is a set of peers thta can communicate with each other
using the same IPv6 scope. Ther are three types of clouds....blah blah"

I am currently updated my .adm templates to the handle the Windows XP setttings, but this is not making these two
strange warnings go away.

Does anyone have ANY idea what the heck caused this and how to fix it?

I've got automatic updates scheduled, by the way, maybe an update? I really have no idea, guys. I've got two Windows
2003 member servers and a fool loaded AD Users and Computers on it and was in Group Policy where he shouldn't be,
but at this point I just need to know how to make these errors go away...not blame anyone.

Microsoft people, are you there?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Sandy,

What is the date and file size on your ADM template?
Have you installed a SP lately on this box? Or, have you installed a SP on
the box where you admin your GPOs from?

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Sandy" <shacker@nhvweb.net> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
> I've got Windows 2000 Domain Controllers pushed down Group Policy to
Windows XP Machines.

> Everything has been fine for about 2 years. Now, suddenly, when I click on
Administrative Templates in
> any of my GPOs, I get this "Warning!" yellow exclamation sign box with the
following message:

> "the following error occurred in \\mydomain\blahblah\Adm\inetres.adm on
line 158:
> Error 51 Unexpected keyword
>
> Found: SUPPORTED
> Expected:KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART, VALUEON, VALUEOFF, ACTIONLIST,
ACTIONLISTOFF, END EXPLAIN, CLIENTEXT

> The file can not be loaded."
>
> Then, when I hit 'OK', i get a second message box that says :
>
> "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
truncated.

> The Peer Name Resolution Protocaol (PNRP) allows for distributed
resolution of a name to an IPV6 address and port number. The protocol
operates in the context of clouds; a cloud is a set of peers thta can
communicate with each other
> using the same IPv6 scope. Ther are three types of clouds....blah blah"
>
> I am currently updated my .adm templates to the handle the Windows XP
setttings, but this is not making these two
> strange warnings go away.
>
> Does anyone have ANY idea what the heck caused this and how to fix it?
>
> I've got automatic updates scheduled, by the way, maybe an update? I
really have no idea, guys. I've got two Windows
> 2003 member servers and a fool loaded AD Users and Computers on it and was
in Group Policy where he shouldn't be,
> but at this point I just need to know how to make these errors go
away...not blame anyone.

> Microsoft people, are you there?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sandy

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Hi Derek,
The date, now that I've updated the .adm templates to handle Windows XP Group Policy using this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mngwinxp.mspx
in an effort to get rid of the error is;
inetres.adm - Created: Monday, April 21, 2003
Modified: Wednesday, July 26, 2000
Accessed; today, April 20, 2004
I've followed the article and updated all GPOs in the domain, replacing them with the Windows XP versions of
the templates. This was after the error, not before.
No SPs have been applied to the DCs where group policy was managed from. They have been on SP 4 since just
after it came out. I didn't start recieving this error until a little over a week ago.

Now, the tech in my building loaded the Administrative Tools onto a Windows 2003 member server, and I know he has been altering Group Policy from the 2003 box, and probably also his Windows XP laptop with the adminpak.msi loaded on that.

There may be the beta version of XPs SP2 on the laptop he's using.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sandy

----- Derek Melber [MVP] wrote: -----

Sandy,

What is the date and file size on your ADM template?
Have you installed a SP lately on this box? Or, have you installed a SP on
the box where you admin your GPOs from?

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
derekm@braincore.net
"Sandy" <shacker@nhvweb.net> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
> I've got Windows 2000 Domain Controllers pushed down Group Policy to
Windows XP Machines.
>> Everything has been fine for about 2 years. Now, suddenly, when I click on
Administrative Templates in
> any of my GPOs, I get this "Warning!" yellow exclamation sign box with the
following message:
>> "the following error occurred in \\mydomain\blahblah\Adm\inetres.adm on
line 158:
> Error 51 Unexpected keyword
>> Found: SUPPORTED
> Expected:KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART, VALUEON, VALUEOFF, ACTIONLIST,
ACTIONLISTOFF, END EXPLAIN, CLIENTEXT
>> The file can not be loaded."
>> Then, when I hit 'OK', i get a second message box that says :
>> "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
truncated.
>> The Peer Name Resolution Protocaol (PNRP) allows for distributed
resolution of a name to an IPV6 address and port number. The protocol
operates in the context of clouds; a cloud is a set of peers thta can
communicate with each other
> using the same IPv6 scope. Ther are three types of clouds....blah blah"
>> I am currently updated my .adm templates to the handle the Windows XP
setttings, but this is not making these two
> strange warnings go away.
>> Does anyone have ANY idea what the heck caused this and how to fix it?
>> I've got automatic updates scheduled, by the way, maybe an update? I
really have no idea, guys. I've got two Windows
> 2003 member servers and a fool loaded AD Users and Computers on it and was
in Group Policy where he shouldn't be,
> but at this point I just need to know how to make these errors go
away...not blame anyone.
>> Microsoft people, are you there?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Sandy

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

I'm sorry Derek, you should also know that the Adminpak.msi loaded on my personal machine, which does not have XP SP2 installed, does not get any of these Inetres.adm, line 158 errors or the second IPV6 cloud truncations message I described
to you before. I get no errors at all when go into GPOs from my XP box.

Thanks for any help,

Sandy

sorry for the delay, I was speaking at a conference.

Anyway, you need to find out where this XP box is modifying GPOs. It is 99%
a certainty from the PDC emulator DC, but you need to confirm that. From
there, you can take those ADM templates and copy them to all DCs and client
computers that edit GPOs, to ensure they all have the correct ones when
editing GPOs.