Question (Help) MSI B450 Tomahawk BIOS Flaskback for Ryzen 5 3600

Apr 21, 2020
Hello! I am in need of help with my processor and motherboard. I recently purchased both a MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard and the Ryzen 5 3600. I know that a BIOS update is needed on the motherboard for it to support the 3000 series chipset. I have watched numerous videos and tutorials on people attempting to give instructions on this process, but in all of the comments, I always see others correcting what the person in the video did. If anyone could refer me to an in-depth tutorial, or try to explain it all here, I would be extremely grateful.

Things I already know:
  • Download latest BIOS update for motherboard
  • Rename BIOS file to "MSI.ROM"
  • Connect ATX and CPU power cables to motherboard
  • Turn power supply on
  • Plug USB drive into Flashback port on motherboard
  • Press Flashback button
-Wait for all lights to stop flashing before turning power supply off and removing flash drive

Things I don't know:
  • I heard someone saying that the USB drive has to be formatted in a specific way (FAT32?)
  • That is has to be a very specific BIOS update and not the latest one for your motherboard?

Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I've already received one dead motherboard, and had to RMA another one, so I'm not on a great winning streak when it comes to motherboards. I'm trying my hardest to completely understand this process before attempting it as I don't want another dead motherboard. Thank you again for all of your help.