Help! MSI FX 5900 XT not working with my system

ernani

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Hello everybody,

After an extensive search over the internet (and a lot of phone calls to friends and technicians), I bought an MSI FX 5900 XT. The problem: My system, a (not very old I hope) Intel P4 1.8GHz with an Elite Group P4VXASD motherboard with AGP 4x does not seem to be compatible with the card! It won't even boot!!!

I was assured by a lot of people that there is backward compatibility between AGP 8x cards and AGP 4x motherboards. If this is the problem, which respectable graphics card would you suggest to buy, that will surely work on my machine?

I even considered the solution of changing my motherboard, but, unlucky again, there are no 423 socket motherboards any more :(

Any help is appreciated,

ernani

pauldh

Illustrious
try pulling the card and re-seating it again. Make sure it is firmly in the AGP slot. AGP cards sometimes aren't fully seated even if they look like they are in tight.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

ernani

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks, but I don't believe its that. I've tried to reset it for about 5 times, with no luck. I tried the card on another (newer) system and it worked fine. I even updated my BIOS.

Has anyone heard of motherboard incombatibilities with graphics cards? Could it be the chipset (VIA Apollo)?

Should I try an FX 5600 or a Radion 9600 Pro or do you suspect that it shall fail again?

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I am thinking the PSU cannot handle the card. What power supply do you have, and how many watts can it handle? Also, make sure the molex connector is connected directly to the back (end) of the card. If it isn't the card will not work. Could you give us a full list of the components you are running in your comp.

ernani

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I doubt it is a PSU issue either, since I had it replaced 3 months ago with a 420 Watt PSU. The synthesis of my PC is as follows:
* CPU: Intel Pentium IV 1.8GHz
* Motherboard: Elite Group P4VXASD, AGP 4x
* 2x256MBs of SDRAM (unfortunately)
* 2 HDDs, 40GBs and 120 GBs accordingly
* Pioneer DVD-ROM
* Plextor CD-RW 8x4x32
* Sound Blaster 5.1
* Old VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200
* Hauppauge TV Tuner

Any ideas?