Help - MX400 probs

G

Quick run down... I'm building a new computer with following components:
1. ECS K7S5A motherboard with the SiS 735 chipset.
2. Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM, 30.0GB Hard drive
3. Eagle GeForce2 MX400 video card
4. AOpen modem
5. AOpen CDRW
6. BTC 56X CDROM

Installing Win 98SE from the hard drive. After loading drivers (from cd in retail box) and the it finishes rebooting, I receive a message from Windows Registry Checker that says that there is an error in the registry and Windows will reboot and fix the problem. It reboots I receive the same error.

I have tried reinstalling all the hardware and software multiple times and I don't receive the error until I install the drivers for the video card.

Please HELP!

G

Tried that. Downloaded the Detonator XP and installed - same error. Tried taking the AGP slot from 4X to 2X and bus speeds down to 100Mhz - still didn't work! Sheesh, i might as well have stuck with my old system if I have to run the system under specs to get it stable! Any more suggesions?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It is possible that you have a bad card, bad board, or have not installed the motherboard drivers properly. It could even be something simple, such as a bad or undersized power supply, because when the drivers are loaded for the card, it turns on certain features which required a greater amount of current to run.

Back to you Tom...

G

Crash - First thanks for all the help that you're giving me!

I was beginning to think that it might be the card, too. I don't know much about Eagle as a mfr, but I only paid $65 for the card - get what you pay for...

I don't think that it's the mobo drivers. I installed all of the drivers separately and had no probs with getting any of the onboard periphs (sound and LAN) running.

The case is an Enlight with a 300W power supply. 300W should be enough. It could be a bad pwr supply, but isn't it more likely to be the card? Is there an easy way for me to test the power supply?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could easily try the card in another system to test that. Also if you have a voltage monitor for you motherboard you can keep an eye on the voltage and see how low it is. Enlight power supplies tend to be a tad overrated for their capacity. On the other hand Antec power supplies tend to not provide the proper voltage even at samll loads. And those two are the most common power supplies in use. Of the two I would choose Enlight and go for a larger than needed size to make up for it's shortcommings (prevent voltage drops), rather than the Antec which is never proper even when lightly loaded.

Back to you Tom...

TRENDING THREADS