[SOLVED] Help, my computer has power but won’t turn on.

Mar 22, 2022
So I had been running into problems with my cpu temperature, so I took it out and cleaned it. Afterwards I realized at some point, I had bent a few pins and set them back straight and have put my cpu back and connected the cpu fan. The problem is since after this, my motherboards rgb lights are glowing when I plug the power cord back into my computer, but hitting the power button does nothing.
I have tried resetting CMOS, checking the ram to see if it was moved. Checking the CPU again to see if it’s properly on, and checking cables plugged into power supply. All seem fine but still no response when I hit the power button.
My specs: Asus Prime X570 Series motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, gigabyte gtx 2080
EVGA Supernova 750 G2, Samsung 970 Evo SSD,

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time reading this.

Solution
Do not EVER power on a system with a modern CPU and no heatsink on the top of it. At best it will tell you nothing since it should shut back down immediately on thermal cut-out, but at worst it will just fry before you can turn it back off.

All you can really do is go through everything and check that it's all fully and properly connected. Get the motherboard manual as an assist.

Key things to look for: the front panel connectors are all aligned with and fully inserted over their respective pins.

The 24-pin connector is fully inserted; both parts since some cases have a split connector. You might also push-check each wire since it's possible some contacts can be pushed back in the body and not make connection.

Double check the CPU...
Feb 19, 2022
Remove the cooler from cpu then try push the power button. Touch the cpu with your hand, is it warm?

You can also check your power button connection on mainboard. Other solution is you can try put your cpu on your friend's mainboard to check if your cpu working properly

Do not EVER power on a system with a modern CPU and no heatsink on the top of it. At best it will tell you nothing since it should shut back down immediately on thermal cut-out, but at worst it will just fry before you can turn it back off.

All you can really do is go through everything and check that it's all fully and properly connected. Get the motherboard manual as an assist.

Key things to look for: the front panel connectors are all aligned with and fully inserted over their respective pins.

The 24-pin connector is fully inserted; both parts since some cases have a split connector. You might also push-check each wire since it's possible some contacts can be pushed back in the body and not make connection.

Double check the CPU power connector for the same.

If you've a modular PSU check that connectors for all the cables attached to it are fully inserted into the proper sockets on the PSU.

Make sure the memory DIMM's are installed each in the proper socket and fully seated: they should "click" gently at both ends.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 22, 2022

Double check the CPU power connector for the same.

If you've a modular PSU check that connectors for all the cables attached to it are fully inserted into the proper sockets on the PSU.

Make sure the memory DIMM's are installed each in the proper socket and fully seated: they should "click" gently at both ends.
I tried what you have recommended, I just got done taking my entire computer apart and checking piece by piece as well. Unfortunately I think the cpu is just dead after I cleaned it. Probably messed something up somehow but thanks for the reply.

Feb 19, 2022
I'm NOT saying you should use computer without heatsink on the CPU
I'm saying is just turn it on for A FEW SECONDS without heatsink. Just to check if there is any heat coming out from the cpu itself. Because IF the CPU still cold after a few seconds, it means the CPU dead.

I've done it multiple times just to confirm dead and working CPU. Nothing bad ever happened.