Help, my computer is acting up

Aug 31, 2018
My computer is being weird, let me set the scene.

I was using 3d mark demo while testing my CPU's temp with intel's basic fine-tuning software. About 30 minutes in, my computer screen goes black and my fans start freaking out (not sure which ones but dismantling system to check, I think it's the GPU though). I shut down my computer after about 10 seconds, and then I waited for it to cool. When I turned my computer on, the resolution was set to 640 and everything was black and white. My monitor is 1080 I think so everything was really stretched. I tried to boot up intel fine tuning, when that didn't work I tried MSI afterburner to see what the state of my GPU is. Afterburner showed nothing. 0ghz speed, 0 temperature, 0 core use. I booted up 3d mark and 3d mark confirmed my system to have an i7 8700k and a 1070 ti. 3d mark said I need to have direct x9 supported cards in order to use it, despite it confirming I have a 1070 ti.
I turned off my pc. Waited a sec, and turned it back on. This time the screen was black and the fans were spinning madly again. I turned off my system. I unplugged it from the wall. I took off the case and felt the GPU. It was warm, not hot, but warm.

For reference according to Intel's software my CPU never crossed 60 degrees. I have no idea how hot my graphics card was running but I can only assume it wouldn't be too warm.

I'm thinking about taking out the GPU and running the system with onboard graphics to see if everything works then. I'll keep you updated but if anyone has any information that'd be really useful. Thanks!

Below are my specs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XxZYRJ

Solution
It sounds like that your GPU just randomly died :/
Fast spinning Fans on the GPU is always a bad sign.

Try to run your System with Onboard GPU as you said and if everything works fine then i would send the card back (of you still have warranty) otherwise there is not a whole lot you can do.
It sounds like that your GPU just randomly died :/
Fast spinning Fans on the GPU is always a bad sign.

Try to run your System with Onboard GPU as you said and if everything works fine then i would send the card back (of you still have warranty) otherwise there is not a whole lot you can do.

Solution
Aug 31, 2018

RIP, it was a new Graphics card and my sister threw all the packaging away while I was at school. If it's really dead idk if the warranty still applies

Anyway, you were right, it seems the gpu pooped itself. With onboard graphics everything is fine.
Thanks for the help!

Aug 31, 2018
So, I turned my computer on and off three times, each time the thing didn't work. I took out the graphics card and used my cpu for the graphics, and it worked. I put my graphics card in a different pcie x16 slot, and it worked. I put the graphics card back into the primary slot and it worked. I have no idea what went wrong. I can only assume a software/driver problem.