Help My Computer Isn't Turning On

Beadarrian

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I was on my computer gaming and there was a power surge so my motherboards anti-surge protection shut the computer down. I started it back up and when I get to the log-in screen for windows the breaker for my section of the house blew. I reset the breaker but when I hit the switch behind my computer to start it up all that happened was the breaker blew again. What happened to my computer? And why won't it start? and what can I do to fix it? Did my wattage get to high or what.

Here is my parts list:
Case: NZXT H440 w/ 4 Chasis fans (the ones that came with it)
MOBO: M5A78L-M LX PLUS
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB OC Edition
RAM: 2 sticks of generic 4GB ram
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: Corsair TX650 Enthusiast Edition
HDD: Generic 750gb Seagate
Mouse: Razer Abyssus
Keyboard: Generic Logitech keyboard
Headset: Razer Kraken
Microphone: Blue Yeti

Please help!

Solution
when my lights go out, i unplug my powerbar

as for the next step, this is tricky as you dont know what is damaged

i mean you could try the paperclip trick to test if the psu works at all. if not, replace it and try to boot your system.

if you could borrow someone elses psu to test that would be perfect. at this point you have to figure out what is broken. most likely, it would be the mobo. if you have a friend with a similar system to yours, you can try each of your components in his system. slowly figuring out what works and what doesnt

it's all pretty messy. god speed

Beadarrian

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
@gumbykid

I have my 2 monitors, speakers and computer all hooked into the same powerstrip.
Do you think it would be beneficial to spread those out over like 2 powerstrips and 2 socks?

Beadarrian

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
But the PSU, Corsair TX650, is supposed to be really reliable. I just bought it like a month ago because my previous power supply, a crappy Kentek blew.

I need like a real solution, do I need more wattage, was 650 not enough?

Beadarrian

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Okay that makes sense. But what do I do next time. I realize I messed up by surging it several times but how do I avoid that.

I couldn't turn my computer on because that would cause a surge. This has never happened before.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
when my lights go out, i unplug my powerbar

as for the next step, this is tricky as you dont know what is damaged

i mean you could try the paperclip trick to test if the psu works at all. if not, replace it and try to boot your system.

if you could borrow someone elses psu to test that would be perfect. at this point you have to figure out what is broken. most likely, it would be the mobo. if you have a friend with a similar system to yours, you can try each of your components in his system. slowly figuring out what works and what doesnt

it's all pretty messy. god speed

Solution

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

oh good point, it is probably still on warrenty. no need to mention the whole story. that sort of thing could have happened while you werent at home =d

Beadarrian

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Do you think something is wrong with my powerstrip or wall socket? because it should not have been blowing the breaker just by turning my computer on. I do that all the time! Do you think my PSU got like to hot or something?

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Because it happened all of a sudden, I would imagine that it would be an external problem. Such as you added a new large appliance and the breaker couldn't handle it, so now whenever something that requires a large amount of power is turned on it can pop it. I'm not very knowledgeable in terms of electricity, and it seems rare that this is happening.