HELP my computer made a loud bang and turned off! PSU problems?

TheUberClocker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I was on my PC and was running a high demanding game but my PC is powerful and cost good part of 700 squid so it can run it fine normally! And my PC suddenly Made a loud bang noise ( I couldn't hear it properly Because I had my ear phones in) and then turned off, and it wouldn't turn back on! So I checked my PSU and it had a funky smell.. So I checked the fuse and capacitors and there not swollen or burnt by the looks of it.. I have also had a ruff check of the rest of my PC mother board ec ec but I carnt find anything! Please Help

Solution
Weird noise and smells are never a good thing. Start with a new, good quality, PSU. SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec.

If that doesn't work, then it possibly also cooked the motherboard.

TheUberClocker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

thats what i thought! but i uncased my psu and there was no signs of damage.. no deformed capacitors or burned fuses:/ could there be something else in the psu to cause a computer to act the way it has?

chugot9218

Honorable
Still likely the PSU, and unless you are experienced with electronics, it is not wise to mess around inside the PSU, there are components in their that can retain enough charge to give you a pretty nasty if not fatal shock. Just an FYI. Have you tried the paperclip test to see if the PSU runs at all?

TheUberClocker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

please tell me my motherboard isnt gonnna be fried:( and im not really that experienced with electronics that why i only looked and didnt tamper:) and nope i havnt tried the old paper clip trick yet.. how do you do it again?(colour of wires to jump ec ec)

TheUberClocker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

please dont be a cooked motherboard too:(

USAFRet

Titan

It might be. No way of telling without powering it up.

But one thing is almost certain - you let the magic smoke out of the PSU.

TheUberClocker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

haha thats true so how much is a reliable psu man?

TheUberClocker

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

AMD bulldozer 8 core processor black edition
16 GB RAM kingston
asus M5A78L-MUSB3 Motherboard
asus HD 7770 directCU grahpics card
cit vantage gaming case
and my carnt remember my psu i think it was called PULSE or somthing.. btw what you think of my spec whilst were on the subject?:)

pcNOOBhere

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

my psu did exactly the same thing and i checked everything the same as you did. get a new psu and install it and all will be well

TRENDING THREADS