Help! My Computer will not post!

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
Can someone please help me?
I have a 520volt OCZ PowerStream PSU and a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. When I try to turn on the system (yes, the cables are all plugged in), I get a 1/4 second of power and then it quits.
When I turn on the back switch, the Asus green light shows up on the motherboard which is a good sign (I think). But the system does not boot up.

For information
I use a AMD 64 FX-53 with a Asus Star ICe CPU color.

Things I tried;
1. took out my 6800GT video card and try to keep everything basic to boot up.

2. Do you think my CPU is bad?
Note: I think I can rule out that the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe card is find since I see the green light show up.

3. Do you think it is my Dual 512 x 2 DDR2 memory? Well, usually you can start up the powersupply and if memory is a problem there should be a beeping sound....but I have not even got that far yet. So my guess I can rule out memory.

4. The voltage requirement for Japan is 115V (like the states). Note, I got my OCZ power supply from a vender online from the states. This should be fine.

5. Also, my OCZ PS supports 24-pin EATXPWR1 and 4-pin ATX12v1 which are both properly connected. This should not be the problem.

Hmmmmmm. It seems maybe my power cord is the problem .....its like there is not enough power...maybe I need more power from my outlet?
Any suggestions where to go from here?

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
Asus Star Ice (CPU Cooler)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI
Lian Li PC-V2000B MOD w blowhole

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
maybe u should try taking out 1 6800gt, and maybe 1 512mb ram then see if u can boot, and is ur ram DDR2? i doubt its the power coming from the outlet, also how far did u get, did u reach the POST screen? i have the same board aint fired it up yet, still waiting to get parts, let me know how u get on.

as for the power cable try your monitor cable

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
That board uses standard ddr, and have you taken the board out of the case and ioslated it ie on your mobo box , using just the graphics card proc and ram? This may be a grounding issue.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read the first post in the main motherboards forum.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
Well It turns out that the problem was 2 things.
1) The CPU heatsink was not locked on properly.
2) The PW reset cable was somehow got knocked off the connection to the motherboard.

Anyway I should have posted earlier. Everything is fine and my PC is running like a baby. Or a panther on steroids!
:D

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
Asus Star Ice (CPU Cooler)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI
Lian Li PC-V2000B MOD w blowhole