HELP! My CPU is on drugs!

G

Hi!
I have been running a celeron566 @850 on an ABit BE6-II for a couple of months now. I had to reinstall windows 2 weeks ago (all new drivers) and ever since my system has been randomly freezing. I figured it must be my processessor over-heating so I went back down to 566. But it still keeps freezing. I have tried everything but I cannot stabilize it. The weird thing is that when my computer crashes, if I am running my TV tuner card, the video keeps working, only all the windows are stuck and no input is accepted. HELP!

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me...

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like you have managed to fry ur chip. Overclocking over an extended period of time will eventually fry ur chip. People seem to forget that fact.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

First set CPU speed to default before trying to troubleshoot. Second, try backing up your information on another drive, Formatting your system drive and reinstalling 98se (if you were using anything other than 98se or 2000 and you were playing games switch to one of those two) DO NOT reinstall over the existing install, do a complete format to get rid of residue. This isn't usually neccisary but give it a shot, it may fix it, it often fixes odd windows problems and I'm not going to troubleshoot over a forum. If the problems persist then see if you can find another cpu that you can try in that mobo, the overclocking of the system bus so dramatically may have overloaded the chipset and caused damage there.
if it only screws up on your processor, well thats probably the culprit. If reformatting fixes your problem, then go ahead and reoverclock but make sure you do extensive testing before sticking to the clock speed (ie run a cpu intensive task overnight, and leave it on overnight for 2 or 3 nights if you don't do so already) if it crashes while not in use, chances are its not 100% stable and needs to be downclocked a bit.

-Infornography
life as we know it is absurd

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
totally concur. Doesn't seem like the dread s e migration phenomenon.
A client got waylaid by funlove.4099 and some ad click alien.vbs that improperly initiated during lan calls.
Easy to correct, 'cept client ran trial Macaffi online scan, extinguished infected files ie all infected .inis and .ocxs and .exes. Funlove's footprint.
Whoops

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

It sounds to me that when you reinstalled you had a resource mixup. I don't think it's the CPU. You might try removeing some of the hardware, like sound, modem, ports, tv tuner card, etc, from the device manager and letting windows reinstall them in order to change some of the resource settings. If you have to reinstall windows you shouldn't do it over the existing installation. Those wonderfull people at Microsoft didn't design it to refresh all of the operating files when you do that. If you need to reinstall and don't have another drive to back yours up onto, you could boot to a DOS prompt and do a deltree of the windows directory. Make sure and copy the deltree.exe file from c:\windows\command folder if you are using a standard boot disk. It doesn't have it on there. This will remove all windows files and require a completely fresh install for windows without reformatting, but get ready for it to take awhile. The deltree operation takes between 10 and 30 minutes depending on how big your windows directory is. Then you just new install like it was a wiped disk. If you need more detailed instructions post a request on here and I'll send them to you.