Question Help, my dekstop suddenly wont turn on, no sign of life.

NicCortes

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
My pc suddenly wont turn on, it worked perfectly last night. But when i woke up and tried to turn it on it wont.

No mobo beep
My mobo model doesnt have any led light

Fans arent turning, nothing.

I tried the paper clip method on my psu and it worked just fine, no damage on the psu.

I also tried the power switch method where i put a screw driver in between the power switch pins but no luck.

So do you guys think that the problem is the motherboard? cuz im also afraid of the other components such as Ram,Cpu,SSD,GPU.

Here are my specs:

EMAXX-iH81LTX - iCafe motherboard
LGA1150 socket

Intel core i7 4790 - not overclocked.

TeamGroup RAM 8x2 16gb ddr3

Huntkey 450w PSU

GALAX Gtx 1650 4gb vram - not overclocked.

Samsung Evo 860 128gb SSD

WB [blue] HDD 1tb

ALSO: no history of overheating.

My mobo is around 6 to 7 years old.

But my system has some history where it was running and suddenly we get blackouts so it turns off without proper shutdown, but it runs after that. I think it happend around 4 to 5 times in different time span

we get alot of blackouts during typhoon season.

Hope to get answers. Thank youuu!

My pc suddenly wont turn on, it worked perfectly last night. But when i woke up and tried to turn it on it wont.

No mobo beep

I tried the paper clip method on my psu and it worked just fine, no damage on the psu.

I also tried the power switch method where i put a screw driver in between the power switch pins but no luck.

So do you guys think that the problem is the motherboard? cuz im also afraid of the other components such as Ram,Cpu,SSD,GPU.

Here are my specs:

LGA1150 socket

Huntkey 450w PSU

WB [blue] HDD 1tb

But my system has some history where it was running and suddenly we get blackouts so it turns off without proper shutdown, but it runs after that. I think it happend around 4 to 5 times in different time span

Your mobo is most likely shot... I would recommend getting a surge protector with back up power to protect your system during power outages... It really save money in the long run

Reactions: NicCortes

NicCortes

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Your mobo is most likely shot... I would recommend getting a surge protector with back up power to protect your system during power outages... It really save money in the long run
Thanks for the immediate answer! Thank you so much. Tho im still worried for my other components. Do you think theyre also damaged?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Thanks for the immediate answer! Thank you so much. Tho im still worried for my other components. Do you think theyre also damaged?
I'm not convinced that the power supply has been eliminated as the cause. I believe that the paper clip test that you refer does not tell if the power supply has the correct output voltage. I would want to verify that PS_ON voltage on the 24 pin ATX connector goes from 5 volts to 0 volts when the power on button is pressed. It the correct voltage on the power supply is not correct, then shorting the "ON" switch would not tell you anything.
DaleH

No mobo beep

Here are my specs:

LGA1150 socket

Huntkey 450w PSU

WB [blue] HDD 1tb

Make it smaller.
Unplug all disk....test.
Unplug the gpu....test.
Use just one stick of ram...test.

Consider getting a UPS if power problems are common.

I don’t agree that the motherboard is toast. Just because a power supply turns on during a paper clip test doesn’t mean your power supply works under load.

I’ve never heard of the power supply you’ve got, so first thing I’d look at is your power supply. As suggested above you may replace the cmos battery as well since those are cheap. If you still don’t have any luck then move on to the motherboard. But you can’t really troubleshoot properly until you have good clean power.