Help! My Dell is extremely slow now!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote:
>>I rechecked the driver-for both the Intel 82801DB ulta ATA Controller and
>>primarch cahnnel the driver is Intel 10/1/2002 2.3.0.2160.
>
> I've got a 82801DBM with MicroSoft drivers (5.1.2600.1106), maybe you
> need to lose the IAA and load the M$ drivers?
>
> Try running HDTune from http://hdtune.com/ and see what kinds of
> transfer rates you get, and what your active mode is...

I agree. I think I'd remove IAA at a minimum just to see if there's an
improvement.

I know some people swear by IAA, but I've not seen the need personally.

Stew

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote:
>>I rechecked the driver-for both the Intel 82801DB ulta ATA Controller and
>>primarch cahnnel the driver is Intel 10/1/2002 2.3.0.2160.
>
> I've got a 82801DBM with MicroSoft drivers (5.1.2600.1106), maybe you
> need to lose the IAA and load the M$ drivers?
>
> Try running HDTune from http://hdtune.com/ and see what kinds of
> transfer rates you get, and what your active mode is...

I have to say, I NEVER will install IAA again. Nothing but problems.

Can't see what it gains on this machine?

Tom

If it's been slowing over a period of time, your hard disk has probably
become heavily fragmented. This can drastically slow a hard drive with 50 GB
of data.

But before defragging the drive, run a check to see if you have any
cross-linked files. Also another cause (besides spyware) is an over-grown
registry. After two years my guess is that it's a combo of these common
problems.

IMPO, use Norton's SystemWorks for this. Can get a copy cheap off Ebay.