[SOLVED] Help my friend decide which is a better upgrade?

tdn

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
My friend's wife is surprising him with an upgrade for his birthday and I can't decide which upgrade is more beneficial?

He currently has an I5-4670K and his GPU is GTX770..

Both definitely need to be upgraded, however I feel like with a new CPU like a 9700k, new mobo and DDR4 ram he would see a bigger difference in gameplay than from a 770 to a 2070 super/2080?

I can't decide.. help? :)

Solution
Well... lets play the numbers game then I'll give you the long and short of it.

The i7 9700K vs the i5 4670K will provide about a 56% improvement in performance. That is both huge and quite noticable. The RTX 2070 Super vs the GTX 770 is going to be a 210% improvement.

Now, the GPU looks to be a huge upgrade, but you might run into instances where the i5 4670K will be holding it back somewhat. You'll still see a big improvement but not all the card can give. Going with the CPU upgrade you're going to see good productivity and system responsiveness improvements, but probably nothing in games. The GTX 770 is already giving all it has to give with the i5 4670K being enough CPU to let the 770 stretch its legs.

So, the GPU would be the...
Well... lets play the numbers game then I'll give you the long and short of it.

The i7 9700K vs the i5 4670K will provide about a 56% improvement in performance. That is both huge and quite noticable. The RTX 2070 Super vs the GTX 770 is going to be a 210% improvement.

Now, the GPU looks to be a huge upgrade, but you might run into instances where the i5 4670K will be holding it back somewhat. You'll still see a big improvement but not all the card can give. Going with the CPU upgrade you're going to see good productivity and system responsiveness improvements, but probably nothing in games. The GTX 770 is already giving all it has to give with the i5 4670K being enough CPU to let the 770 stretch its legs.

So, the GPU would be the better upgrade if we are talking about a gamer giving a reasonable uplift in game performance and way cooler visuals, but he's going to need both the CPU and GPU to really see a major upgrade.

Solution