Question HELP!! My graphics card was working perfectly fine, until this happened

Jul 14, 2019
I was in a game and then green pixels came to my screen, big square ones, and my pc completely froze , then I reboot and the screen is full of purple horizontal pixel lines, hundreds of them, ( please note issue is not the monitor since when I move my cursor around those lines it overpasses them)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @4ghz 1.2v
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200mhz
GIGABYTE NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2 TB
Corsair CX650M 650W 80+ Bronze Certified
NZXT S340 White

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @4ghz 1.2v
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200mhz
GIGABYTE NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2 TB
Corsair 650W 80+ Bronze Certified
NZXT S340 White

Jul 14, 2019
The 2080s do have issues with artifacts.

I would try to uninstall the drivers using DDU in safe mode and then reinstall the drivers.
Do you have a warranty?

I have already done that, i did it first in safemode, and then in normal boot mode, the issue was still happening, i reinstalled the drivers and it didnt fix anything, i have tried switching the gpu to a different pcie slot in my mobo, still the same,

Jul 14, 2019
Which model psu? This will tell you the quality which is very important.

What you describe sounds like a gpu failure. The question is was it killed by a crap psu. Time to contact the Gigabyte about returning the gpu under warranty.

let me turn off my pc and check that, i will let you know as soon as i can

Jul 14, 2019
Ok, that’s ok. Could have been a lot worse. It’s not the best but it is ok. I’d contact Gigabyte about a possible gpu failure.
RMA the gpu. If drivers arent the issue its a hardware fault caused by the gpu.

A CX650m is part of a very budget line of power supplies. While they are decent quality for the money, you shouldnt pair a $60 psu with a gpu with 10 times that.

Before i try to do the rma, i just wanted yto say that i am NOT getting the nvidia control panel when i right click in my desktop, neither is it in the control panel, it isnt hidden, it just isnt there, is there something that i can do about that? maybe that is causing the problem? also i get this in the device manager : windows stopped this device because it reported problems code 43

The no nvidia panel could be because of drivers or the error 43.

Error code 43 is generally a hardware fault. The graohucs card needs to be replaced.

As for the psu. The cx650m is about the minimum, but it should be ok. The cx line is more suited to lower end gpus.

Before i try to do the rma, i just wanted yto say that i am NOT getting the nvidia control panel when i right click in my desktop, neither is it in the control panel, it isnt hidden, it just isnt there, is there something that i can do about that? maybe that is causing the problem? also i get this in the device manager : windows stopped this device because it reported problems code 43
That wouldn’t cause the symptoms you described but could easily be a symptom of a dead/dying gpu. You can try removing the driver with DDU and reinstalling but I highly doubt this will help.

Jul 14, 2019
That wouldn’t cause the symptoms you described but could easily be a symptom of a dead/dying gpu. You can try removing the driver with DDU and reinstalling but I highly doubt this will help.
i bought the card off newegg around 6 months ago, do you think the warranty will be fine? if not where can i send my gpu to get it fixed

Jul 14, 2019
The no nvidia panel could be because of drivers or the error 43.

Error code 43 is generally a hardware fault. The graohucs card needs to be replaced.

As for the psu. The cx650m is about the minimum, but it should be ok. The cx line is more suited to lower end gpus.
i bought the card off newegg around 6 months ago, do you think the warranty will be fine? if not where can i send my gpu to get it fixed

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Blue/pink or green/yellow screen washout on my RMA'd Asus Radeon 580 from Newegg. The Passmark test consistently crashed the card. If the new one does it too I'll make a video and try to have some kind of thermal monitoring up at the same time. But I don't think the problem is overheating and it's a brand new 850W Seasonic. I think the video is a good idea it lets everyone see what's going on and psu OEMs probably aren't keen on seeing their products fail on youtube, Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I'm really a highly basic noob when it comes to building computers but I will say that I learned early on that people hardly ever regret buying a good psu. There are so many components that depend on them, and you can get mobo failures, graphics failures, cpu failures, OS drive failures...I had all of those in the days when I bought prebuilds from the now defunct (in my area anyhow) Computer Renaissance. One of the first things I learned was that they were installing $15 psus and charging $50 for a replacement bought in their store, and more if you wanted them to install it.

So, with baby steps I moved towards my first build and I upped the game on psus.

I'm thinking it might be useful to have a paid version of passmark installed on the desktop it pushes the graphics further than UserBenchmark IMO. I'm waiting for the replacement card and hoping for the best. Hope it works out for you.

So I'm agreeing the psu could be suspect. But I also think a fair percentage of these units just fail, period.

And of course, this is why we keep our old graphics cards. So we can use them when the fancy ones fail. Like my brother's Lotus sports car and white pickup truck. I said, "why do you have a white pickup when you can drive a Lotus." He said, "I drive the Lotus till it breaks down and then I get into my white truck and tow the Lotus to a mechanic and while he waits for parts I drive around in the white truck." But I'm skeptical anyone actually fixes a gpu these days.

Greg N

Latest posts