Aug 19, 2019
Hey, I recently moved my PC just from below my table to on it. Since then I have not been able to use my microphone from any of the front or the rear jacks. I am using a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 mobo. Every time I plug my mic in and select the connected device as a mic, it shows up in the audio devices but does not detect any voice. I'm pretty sure i did accidentally pull the mic's wire, so I bought another mic, but still the same issue. I tried reinstalling the sound drivers but it didn't help. Please help.
PS: The audio outputs are working perfectly fine, the front and rear outputs are working as they were, so there is an issue with only the input, i guess.

Last edited:
Solution
Two things to check.
1. Windows has a place in System ... Sound Devices or something like that where you get to specify exactly WHICH device will be used as the Default Sound Playback device and the Default Sound Recording device. (This is because no matter how many devices you have installed, Windows can only use ONE of them for each function.) What MAY have happened at some point during your move is that Windows discovered that NO microphone was plugged in and forgot how to do it. So check for the Default Sound Recording Device and make sure it is set to use the microphone you plug in, including where it it plugged in. IF you cannot find the right thing available to choose, go back into Windows Device Manager and make sure the audio...
Aug 19, 2019
Have you looked in "PC Settings > System > Sound"? Look through the different microphone and input device settings.
I did. I even bought a new external USB sound card in case there were jack issues in the PC, but that didnt help too. It is detecting my microphone but doesnt take any input. I even checked the mic by using it on my phone. The mic works perfectly fine.

Do any of these tutorials help?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Two things to check.
1. Windows has a place in System ... Sound Devices or something like that where you get to specify exactly WHICH device will be used as the Default Sound Playback device and the Default Sound Recording device. (This is because no matter how many devices you have installed, Windows can only use ONE of them for each function.) What MAY have happened at some point during your move is that Windows discovered that NO microphone was plugged in and forgot how to do it. So check for the Default Sound Recording Device and make sure it is set to use the microphone you plug in, including where it it plugged in. IF you cannot find the right thing available to choose, go back into Windows Device Manager and make sure the audio system you are trying to use is there as a recognized device with no yellow warning triangle. If it is NOT there, use the menu choices at the top of this window to find the option to Re-scan the system for new devices and force it to detect that audio system and install its driver.

2. This one might see obvious, but I found I had done it wrong and missed it! In your sound configuration tool for the audio system you are using (mobo-based, card or external), check the VOLUME setting for the microphone, and also whether or not it is muted.

Solution