Question HELP MY PC MIGHT BE DEAD

Alex_310

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
So I was watching YouTube and in the middle of the video my pc crashed with a blue screen error. This was followed by my computer restarting into a boot loop. The loop had "automatic repair preparing" but before it would finish my pc would just restart itself again. So I decided to try to fix it with a bootable windows media on a USB. My computer would start to boot from the USB but before finishing would restart the pc again and go back to the loop. I then thought maybe it was a hardware issue so I started by taking out one stick of memory (nothing) then the other (still nothing) so ram isn't the issue. I continued by troubleshooting other parts such as my wifi card. Finally I tried reseating my graphics card (my dads suggestion), but when I plugged the card back in my monitor doesn't see any signal and my pc keeps turning on and off without turning on my peripherals. At this point I have no idea what the issue could be. I have a warranty on some of my parts at microcenter and was thinking of taking it to be diagnosed but I live over an hour away from there so any advice on what I could try first would be greatly appreciated. I did try replacing my graphics card with an old low powered one I had lying around and it did show the screen again but its still in a boot loop. Incase it matters, my current psu is well below the minimum recommended wattage for my gpu (I didnt have the budget for a new one at the time of my upgrade). (550W psu and I have a red devil 5700xt with a recommended minimum 700W psu). I have had the new parts for over a year and everything has worked ok, but I have had a few pc crashes over the year, but nothing like this. To me it seems like either a mb issue or a psu issue, but the gpu thing is bothering me.

Alex_310

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I would suspect the PSU or the boot drive to be faulty.
I was thinking boot drive, I forgot to mention in the post but to check i installed a different ssd to boot from and the same issue occurred. The gpu thing is whats really bothering me. I'm worried that when I took it out and put it back in I damaged it somehow. All the contacts looked fine and I didn't force it or anything but its weird that it was working for a sec and then now it isn't, but an old one is working in the same pc.

qazihashmi74

Honorable
Sep 30, 2018
I once had a similar problem. For whatever reason, the SATA operation setting had changed. Maybe its the same issue? Go to your bios settings and try changing SATA operation setting. It worked for me.

Alex_310

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
What is the PSU brand and model?

Old GPU will not take as much power as your 5700XT. What is the old GPU?

Can we get the full system specs?

Yeah heres the specs

Ryzen 7 3800X
Red Devil 5700XT
16gb gskill ram
1tb sabrent ssd
Corsair CX550M 550W psu

Old gpu is a gtx 1060 with a blower style cooler (takes a single 6 pin power cable while the 5700XT takes 2-8 pin cables). The power supply doesn't support 2 8 pin cables so I purchased a splitter cable when I bought the new parts.

Last edited:

Alex_310

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I will say that a few months ago my pc restarted while I was playing a game and then just a couple weeks ago I had a blue screen while playing a game, then just about a week ago my pc turned itself off (no blue screen) while I was playing a game. Then obviously what I described here just happened.