[SOLVED] Help! -- my pc won't boot up properly ?

Aug 3, 2021
I cant get my pc to boot up properly.
I got a new pc and recently installed windows to a new SSD using windows usb tool. I also have my old hdd installed as a storage device from my previous pc.
I did not do anything with the HDD or SSD, just simply plugged them in and installed windows on the ssd.

The problem is that I cant boot up the computer normally. When I press the power button, the computer starts up then its a black screen for 15 seconds. After that I get a failed to post message and then it says press F1 to go to setup, which takes me to the bios settings. With this problem I cant even install windows updates because the computer wont restart properly.

The only temporary solution I have found was that when the bios loads up, I have to force boot the SSD using the bios commands and for some reason its named windows boot device or something. After that windows boots like normal and I can see all my files and HDD with no problem.

I really need to solve the booting problem because I cant get anything done.

Here is my parts list

i7-9700k intel cpu
Asus Z390-P motherboard
EVGA FTW3 3080ti
EVGA 80plus gold 750W PSU
Samsung 870 QVO SATA 3 2.5" SSD 1TB

Solution
I've tried with that on and off already no change.
What i would do is source another ssd and attach it as the sole drive, then install win on it, and see if the issue persists, this will tell us if the issue is with your disk or elsewhere

alternatively, you could use an ssd from another pc and just boot from there, it will confuse the os on the ssd, but is should work (if you dont connect it to the internet, it will be harmless too)
I cant get my pc to boot up properly.
I got a new pc and recently installed windows to a new SSD using windows usb tool. I also have my old hdd installed as a storage device from my previous pc.
I did not do anything with the HDD or SSD, just simply plugged them in and installed windows on the ssd.

The problem is that I cant boot up the computer normally. When I press the power button, the computer starts up then its a black screen for 15 seconds. After that I get a failed to post message and then it says press F1 to go to setup, which takes me to the bios settings. With this problem I cant even install windows updates because the computer wont restart properly.

The only temporary solution I have found was that when the bios loads up, I have to force boot the SSD using the bios commands and for some reason its named windows boot device or something. After that windows boots like normal and I can see all my files and HDD with no problem.

I really need to solve the booting problem because I cant get anything done.

Here is my parts list

i7-9700k intel cpu
Asus Z390-P motherboard
EVGA FTW3 3080ti
EVGA 80plus gold 750W PSU
Samsung 870 QVO SATA 3 2.5" SSD 1TB
Have you tried to load the default settings into the bios?

I've tried with that on and off already no change.
What i would do is source another ssd and attach it as the sole drive, then install win on it, and see if the issue persists, this will tell us if the issue is with your disk or elsewhere

alternatively, you could use an ssd from another pc and just boot from there, it will confuse the os on the ssd, but is should work (if you dont connect it to the internet, it will be harmless too)

Solution
Aug 3, 2021
Ok I figured out what the problem is but I still need some sorta solution.

It wasnt the installation that was the problem at all. Its the ram slots.
If I use all 4 ram slots which are a1 b1 a2 b2 the computer will black screen and fail post and go to safe mode bios.
In the bios the motherboard detects all ram cards which means they are working but something is failing at post.
I took them all out and tested them in slots a2 b2 only and they all work which means the ram cards are stable.
If only slots a2 and b2 are used the computer boots up normal and fine.

My problem now is how do i boot up using 4 ram slots correctly?

My ram cards are

2x Corsair Vegeance LPX DDR4 4gb 3000mhz

2x Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz 8gb DDR4

in bios corsair runs at 2166mhz
crucial ballistix runs at 2300mhz

Last edited: