[SOLVED] Help! My PC won't POST ( no mobo lights, fans on, solid red CPU debug LED light)

Dec 3, 2019
Hi everyone,

So I've completed my new build for about a week, everything was running great: no overheating, everything is cool and smooth. And ... I decided to overclock it today (I currently own a new I9 9900k).

So I was following some youtube tutorial to attempt to overclock my new CPU to 5.0ghz, just to see how lucky I am with this new CPU (If I remember correctly, I set my vcore to 1.350v). After I click save&exit, the PC fails to boot again. Fans and CPU cooler would be turned on for about 10 secs and the system would reboot again ( NO I/O )

CPU debug LED is solid red. I've tried reseting the bios using CMOS jumper and removing the battery method but none of those works. Do you guys think that I accidentally fried my CPU? I wasn't able to test out the new settings at all so I think this is unlikely.

Maybe my PSU is failing? I have had this PSU for about 4+ years ( from my old build). I didn't get a new one because I was thinking 650w would probably enough for an RTX 2080ti and a i9 9900k.

I've ordered a new 850w PSU and it is on its way. In the meantime, how do I go about ruling out that my mobo and my CPU aren't dead?
Thanks

System specs:
16gb ram 3200
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
i9-9900k
RTX 2080ti
Rosewill 650w PSU (I have had this about 4+ years)

Solution
So I replaced a new psu today (Corsair 850w 80+ gold cert), and also installed a mobo speaker. The speaker doesn’t beep and still no post.
So here is what I think happened. I think your bios tried to change to the backup bios, the backup bios is not up to date to support the 9000 series CPU which is why your CPU debut light is on and it’s stuck in the boot loop.
Your options are: 1. Find someone that has a 8000 series CPU to use to update the bios. 2. Return/RMA the motherboard.
Hi everyone,

So I've completed my new build for about a week, everything was running great: no overheating, everything is cool and smooth. And ... I decided to overclock it today (I currently own a new I9 9900k).

So I was following some youtube tutorial to attempt to overclock my new CPU to 5.0ghz, just to see how lucky I am with this new CPU (If I remember correctly, I set my vcore to 1.350v). After I click save&exit, the PC fails to boot again. Fans and CPU cooler would be turned on for about 10 secs and the system would reboot again ( NO I/O )

CPU debug LED is solid red. I've tried reseting the bios using CMOS jumper and removing the battery method but none of those works. Do you guys think that I accidentally fried my CPU? I wasn't able to test out the new settings at all so I think this is unlikely.

Maybe my PSU is failing? I have had this PSU for about 4+ years ( from my old build). I didn't get a new one because I was thinking 650w would probably enough for an RTX 2080ti and a i9 9900k.

I've ordered a new 850w PSU and it is on its way. In the meantime, how do I go about ruling out that my mobo and my CPU aren't dead?
Thanks

System specs:
16gb ram 3200
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
i9-9900k
RTX 2080ti
Rosewill 650w PSU (I have had this about 4+ years)
Have you tried letting it finish rebooting or are you turning it off? Usually after several failed reboots it resets to default settings on its own.

your motherboard also supports dual bios. You should have a selector on the board to boot using the other bios with default settings.

Reactions: davidvu98
Dec 3, 2019
Have you tried letting it finish rebooting or are you turning it off? Usually after several failed reboots it resets to default settings on its own.

your motherboard also supports dual bios. You should have a selector on the board to boot using the other bios with default settings.
I think I tried this already and it didn't work. Also, my motherboard doesn't actualy have a switch to force backup bios boot so I followed this method: https://superuser.com/questions/114...o-boot-in-the-backup-bios-by-shorting-pins-on
However, clearing cmos should be equivalent right?
Either way that Rosewill PSU should be replaced for sure, hopefully a quality brand.
I agree, already ordered in on Black Friday and it's on its way. I'm just afraid that my CPU or my mobo is actually dead. Though the pc doesn't post, but the fans are running. However, the RGB on my mobo aren't lighted up. Is that an indication of a faulty mobo or psu?

I think I tried this already and it didn't work. Also, my motherboard doesn't actualy have a switch to force backup bios boot so I followed this method: https://superuser.com/questions/114...o-boot-in-the-backup-bios-by-shorting-pins-on
However, clearing cmos should be equivalent right?

I agree, already ordered in on Black Friday and it's on its way. I'm just afraid that my CPU or my mobo is actually dead. Though the pc doesn't post, but the fans are running. However, the RGB on my mobo aren't lighted up. Is that an indication of a faulty mobo or psu?
Had a similar issue myself while attempting to overclock my RAM on my Aorous Master Z390. It started boot looping and I turned it off. I realized I needed to let it boot loop till it reset itself to a safe value. I just let it boot loop till it fixed itself basically. The settings you changed wouldn’t hurt the CPU or motherboard. Only thing that would is you physically messing with them after, which is/was unnecessary.

Dec 3, 2019
Had a similar issue myself while attempting to overclock my RAM on my Aorous Master Z390. It started boot looping and I turned it off. I realized I needed to let it boot loop till it reset itself to a safe value. I just let it boot loop till it fixed itself basically. The settings you changed wouldn’t hurt the CPU or motherboard. Only thing that would is you physically messing with them after, which is/was unnecessary.
How many iterations did you let it go through?
I left mine looping for about 10 iterations and it didn’t reset back.
I also tried clearing the cmos but that didn’t resolve the issue.

How many iterations did you let it go through?
I left mine looping for about 10 iterations and it didn’t reset back.
I also tried clearing the cmos but that didn’t resolve the issue.
Couldn’t tell you how many. I just let it do it’s thing. That’s what the boot loop is for. If you stop it, it’s gonna do everything all over again. It’s like a self diagnostic trying to get itself to boot. Now, if it’s still doing it for a long time, like an hour, then it’s probably not gonna work. I’d research the right way to clear cmos but in my experience that usually doesn’t work for whatever reason.

Dec 3, 2019
Couldn’t tell you how many. I just let it do it’s thing. That’s what the boot loop is for. If you stop it, it’s gonna do everything all over again. It’s like a self diagnostic trying to get itself to boot. Now, if it’s still doing it for a long time, like an hour, then it’s probably not gonna work. I’d research the right way to clear cmos but in my experience that usually doesn’t work for whatever reason.
So I replaced a new psu today (Corsair 850w 80+ gold cert), and also installed a mobo speaker. The speaker doesn’t beep and still no post.

So here is what I think happened. I think your bios tried to change to the backup bios, the backup bios is not up to date to support the 9000 series CPU which is why your CPU debut light is on and it’s stuck in the boot loop.
Your options are: 1. Find someone that has a 8000 series CPU to use to update the bios. 2. Return/RMA the motherboard.

Solution
Dec 3, 2019
Does the mobo beep when bios is not booting?

Dec 3, 2019
Have to check your manual for that. I’ve also never used a motherboard speaker. There’s literally no way you messed up the CPU by changing bios settings. Only thing that changed were motherboard settings and now it won’t boot. It’s the motherboard 100%.
I've decided to RMA the board and the cpu just in case. Hopefully newegg will approve it because I just got the parts for less than a week.
Thanks for the help man!