[SOLVED] Help !!! My system is sata 2 or sata 3 ???

sbayraktar

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hello,
I have an all in one desktop, Lenovo ideacentre B230
Serial Number: VS50000528
Machine Type Model: 77601FJ
CPU: intel i3-2100
Memory: DDR3 1333mhz SODIMM 2+2 GB
Motherboard Manufacturer: LENOVO
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Sandy Bridge
Chipset Revision 09
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model H61
Southbridge Revision B3

I want to upgrade the system. and I want to be sure about supporting maximum memory size of motherboard.
And also, supporting sata 3 . If support sata3, I will change the HDD to SSD

Solution
So, Do you recommend SSD (sata3 - 6Gbps / 550MB/s read and 520MB/s write) ?
If I replace the HDD with SSD, can my computer speed up ?

And, what about RAM ?
Yes, a SATA III SSD will function just fine on a SATA II motherboard. It will "only" run at 250MB/s rather than 500MB/s. That is at least 3X the performance of your existing disk. It also has zero latency for moving between files and directories. Something that no HDD has. It will improve the responsiveness of booting and application launching.

Lutfij

Titan
They will be at 3Gbps meaning SATA 2 not SATA 3 since you're running off of the H61 chipset. You can still replace the HDD with an SSD though you won't be seeing SATA 6Gbps speeds on that platform due to aforementioned chipset.

sbayraktar

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
They will be at 3Gbps meaning SATA 2 not SATA 3 since you're running off of the H61 chipset. You can still replace the HDD with an SSD though you won't be seeing SATA 6Gbps speeds on that platform due to aforementioned chipset.

And, what about RAM ?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

And, what about RAM ?
Yes, a SATA III SSD will function just fine on a SATA II motherboard. It will "only" run at 250MB/s rather than 500MB/s. That is at least 3X the performance of your existing disk. It also has zero latency for moving between files and directories. Something that no HDD has. It will improve the responsiveness of booting and application launching.

Solution