mrsmithjr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017
1. What is your budget? Under 1k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15''

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? Not sure to be honest

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Office programs, web browsing, watch videos.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not sure about this.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in? England

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

My dad purchased a dell inspiron for around £550 which has been fine for him, the only thing I don't like about it is the display. The brightness and colours are a bit weak, he thinks it's fine but for my laptop I want a better display. I noticed that laptops around this price range all come with the 250 nits display pretty much so it would seem my budget needs to increase to get something better. I noticed the lenovo legion laptops have the 300 nits and 100% srgb which is supposed to be good. But I checked the weight of those for portability and they seem quite heavy so, not sure about that. Suggestions would be appreciated, cheers.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
If you plan to keep your laptop as long as possible...How much weight would you put on being able to upgrade your laptop down the road, in terms of memory and storage? Many if not most ultra-portables have no upgradability whatsoever, or are limited to exchanging their single m.2 drive for another.

Last edited:

mrsmithjr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017
If you plan to keep your laptop as long as possible...How much weight would you put on being able to upgrade your laptop down the road, in terms of memory and storage? Many if not most ultra-portables have no upgradability whatsoever, or are limited to exchanging their single m.2 drive for another.

I would certainly like the option to add more memory or storage down the road in case it becomes necessary.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Then I'm afraid you might have to loosen your weight and portability requirements a bit.

Seems like the only laptops that allow much upgrade these days are those intended for gaming and other performance applications, which doesn't really match your use case.

Find reviews, especially those technical enough to include things like colour gamut and calibration measurement, and maintenance incl. disassembly.

mrsmithjr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017
Then I'm afraid you might have to loosen your weight and portability requirements a bit.

Seems like the only laptops that allow much upgrade these days are those intended for gaming and other performance applications, which doesn't really match your use case.

Find reviews, especially those technical enough to include things like colour gamut and calibration measurement, and maintenance incl. disassembly.

thanks, i'll do that.

mrsmithjr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017

What do you think about this laptop, is it a good option for me, or do you think there are better alternatives? https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-plus/spd/inspiron-15-7501-laptop/cn50107sc

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Did not find any review for that model myself, but that laptop had one channel of RAM soldered to the motherboard, which is fine if you don't intend to go above 16GB of RAM with it, which is more than enough for your use case.

Pick the one with 100% sRGB panel, if colour reproduction is more important to you than touch panel control. Nothing is said about brightness, however - I'd recommend seeing one in person in your local computer place (if one does exist), and see if you are happy with what it could offer.

Discrete GPU is largely not necessary, if you don't play games or use any productive applications - video editing, CAD, etc. - that may use its capability.

i5-10300H is more than a year old. A newer generation is long available, but might still be more costly and not provide much improvement for your purpose.

As of alternatives, I do not know enough about what's available around your place to have any specific recommendation. Others would know more.

mrsmithjr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017
Did not find any review for that model myself, but that laptop had one channel of RAM soldered to the motherboard, which is fine if you don't intend to go above 16GB of RAM with it, which is more than enough for your use case.

Pick the one with 100% sRGB panel, if colour reproduction is more important to you than touch panel control. Nothing is said about brightness, however - I'd recommend seeing one in person in your local computer place (if one does exist), and see if you are happy with what it could offer.

Discrete GPU is largely not necessary, if you don't play games or use any productive applications - video editing, CAD, etc. - that may use its capability.

i5-10300H is more than a year old. A newer generation is long available, but might still be more costly and not provide much improvement for your purpose.

As of alternatives, I do not know enough about what's available around your place to have any specific recommendation. Others would know more.

Thanks for your reply, page 18 of the manual lists the brightness at 300 nits: https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/inspiron-15-7501-laptop_users-guide_en-us.pdf
I would prefer a laptop with 11th gen cpu with the iris graphics which apparently is a lot better then the uhd, but I can't find any option available either from dell or other manufacturers which also has the option of the 100% srgb panel. Not without a big jump up in price anyway. That's why I am looking at this laptop.

1. What is your budget? Under 1k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15''

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? Not sure to be honest

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Office programs, web browsing, watch videos.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not sure about this.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in? England

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

My dad purchased a dell inspiron for around £550 which has been fine for him, the only thing I don't like about it is the display. The brightness and colours are a bit weak, he thinks it's fine but for my laptop I want a better display. I noticed that laptops around this price range all come with the 250 nits display pretty much so it would seem my budget needs to increase to get something better. I noticed the lenovo legion laptops have the 300 nits and 100% srgb which is supposed to be good. But I checked the weight of those for portability and they seem quite heavy so, not sure about that. Suggestions would be appreciated, cheers.
MacBook Air?